The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
The British Embassy in Germany is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking for an independent, well organised and proactive Pro-Consul with prior experience in customer service for the Consular Section at the British Embassy in Germany, based in Berlin. The consular team in Berlin is part of the wider EuroAsia consular region that includes twenty-nine countries.The job holder will be providing consular assistance and services to British nationals and support the consular teams in the British Embassy in Germany and the Consulate Generals in Munich and Dusseldorf. The jobholder would furthermore be expected to contribute to the wider objectives of the British Government’s Germany network and to support its positive working environment and actively participate in the Learning & Development efforts.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Providing consular assistance across the full range of casework; visiting prisoners, dealing with people in hospital, victims of crime, and all other distressed British nationals;
- Carrying out vulnerability assessments and providing corresponding assistance to vulnerable British Nationals;
- Handling correspondence, telephone inquiries, and counter enquiries and services;
- Accepting Emergency Travel Document (ETD) applications and processing them;
- Making recommendations for social media messages;
- Participate in mandatory trainings and workshops.
- Performing other administrative duties as required (e.g. processing lost/stolen/recovered passports and UK driving licences, recording death notifications);
- Updating consular information on GOV.UK and those lists available to British nationals e.g. lawyers lists, translators, funeral directors etc. are kept current;
- Managing Consular fees and completing Consular Certificates and cashier duties.
Outreach and prevention
- To develop and maintain a network of contacts with relevance for consular assistance and crisis work, e.g. local authorities, universities, NGOs, British community groups, and other stakeholders where necessary;
- To help organise outreach event(s) and participate at other stakeholders events;
- To assist the Consular Network with the Prevention and Partnerships plan;
- To help identify and implement network/country specific prevention campaigns.
Notarial work and documentary services
- Liaise with customers to refer them to the appropriate body depending on the notarial act;
- Prepare and sign fee-bearing services where applicable.
- Taking part in Post crisis preparedness efforts and activities, e.g. table-top & semi-live exercises, regular crisis meetings, e-learnings;
- Deploying to a crisis; Assisting in Post preparation and response to football matches and other large-scale events, responding to mass casualty incidents or crises.
- Proficient German and English (both written and spoken);
- A minimum of five years work experience in a similar role;
- Previous experience in a customer facing role and the ability to respond to a wide range of customers’ needs;
- Flexibility, resilience, patience, and the ability to deal with difficult situations, including out of hours and in an emergency or crisis;
- Good communication, interpersonal and team working skills;
- Excellent organisational and time management skills;
- Adaptability and a positive mindset towards change and working as part of a wider team;
- Self motivated and able to work effectively and proactively without close supervision;
- Ability to display a high level of discretion and responsibility;
- Good telephone manner and communication skills;
- Very good IT skills, especially MS Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel;
- Some travel might be required.
- Knowledge of the German administrative, justice & legal systems and social service;
- Higher education.
Changing and Improving, Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace, Demonstrating Resilience
14 November 2016
Fixed Term, Full-time
Monthly salary (EUR)
3,075 (salary is not negotiable)
3 January 2017
This is a full-time position of five working days 37.5 hours net per week, for an initial contract period of two years, which may be extended by mutual agreement.
The British Embassy in Germany has a strong ethos of Learning and Development, including our Learning and Development Week. In addition, there will be many opportunities to attend external seminars and events on relevant issues. This is in addition to the induction programme offered to all Embassy staff.
The successful applicant will be encouraged to be actively involved in the corporate life of the Embassy, contributing to the wider objectives of the British Government’s Germany network and supporting the Embassy’s positive working environment.
The successful candidate will be subject to professional background check and security clearance.
All applicants should have the right to live and work in Germany. The successful candidate must have pre-existing work authorization for Germany in order to apply. The British Embassy does not sponsor for work permits.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy in Germany are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local German employment law.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”. We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Zu finden unter http://www.stepstone.de/stellenangebote–Pro-Consul-REF-DEU977-Berlin-Britische-Botschaft-British-Embassy-Berlin–4005763-inline.html?cid=JaJob-undefined-10-2011_undefined_offertitle&jacid=3358250-10-2011&nctid=20161028&bl=m
Bewirb dich bitte nicht nach Ablauf der Frist. Danke!