Job Title: Head of Business Development
Division: Finance & Business Development
Reports to: Chief Financial Officer
Location: Climate-KIC Berlin or London office
Start Date: ASAP
Apply by: 19 February 2017
Climate-KIC is the EU’s largest public private partnership addressing climate change through innovation to build a zero carbon economy.
We address climate change across four priority themes: urban areas, land use, production systems, and climate finance. Education is at the heart of these themes to inspire and empower the next generation of climate leaders.
We run programmes for students, start-ups and innovators across Europe via centres in major cities, convening a community of the best people and organisations. Our approach starts with improving the way people live in cities. Our focus on industry creates the products required for a better living environment, and we look to optimise land use to produce the food people need.
Climate-KIC is supported by the European Institute of Innovation and Technology (EIT). The EIT is an independent EU body with a mission to empower innovators and entrepreneurs to develop world-class solutions to societal challenges and create growth and skilled jobs. The EIT supports and funds a number of knowledge and innovation communities (KICs).
Our 2017-2021 strategy sets out our ambitious goals and vision for the future. By 2021, Climate-KIC aims to be:
- A global leader in climate and sustainable innovation, recognised for delivering impact
- The trusted partner for all innovation actors, supply-side, demand-side and enablers
- The centre of excellence with the very best people to inspire and support climate leaders and innovators
- The compelling choice for funders looking to support climate innovation
Climate-KIC will have a commercial approach to delivering societal aims. We will be positioned as the trusted organisation for those looking to source, provide and fund climate innovation. The negative effects of climate change will worsen as massive market failure continues. This will mean that public bodies (through grants and procurement) and foundations and multi-national institutions will continue to invest heavily. As the understanding of the value of systems thinking and systemic solutions increase, Climate-KIC – with its cutting-edge innovation expertise and an exceptional network of world-class partner institutions – will be well positioned to deliver on our financial sustainability objectives:
- Continue to have long term impact against EIT core objectives (climate action and EU economic growth)
- Have self-sustained core activities (Education, Business, Research)
- Have a balance of excellent knowledge triangle partners
Climate-KIC’s EIT funding is expected to reduce from its current 2017-2020 peak while our impact grows. A wide range of revenue sources exists for what we do, and our goal is to attract and secure non-EIT funding that maximises the impact of our activities.
We will attract new funders by virtue of our diverse assets – the quality of our teams and partnerships, the Climate-KIC programmes successfully delivered, results already achieved, our track record of sparking innovation, the EIT’s continued significant investment, and the European Commission’s endorsement.
Our target non-EIT revenue for 2021 is €35,000,000 (circa 45% of revenues). Our five priority areas for revenue generation are:
- EU and national grants
- Public procurement
- Consulting services
- Foundations and Multi-national Institutions
Purpose of the Role
The Head of Business Development is a key role for the development of Climate-KIC and will contribute to the major change which will be implied by diversifying revenue and funding streams. You will work closely with Climate-KIC leadership, our international partner network and a range of external stakeholders.
Your role will have a company-wide, pan-European remit, and will matrix manage a team of 10 business development managers across our Geographies and Themes (spanning 11 operating countries plus our RIS outreach network). You will set direction for the European team, ensuring that activities across the community are impactful and aligned with Climate-KIC’s revenue diversification strategy.
You will also directly manage a central team of two Business Development Programme Managers, who provide central co-ordination and leadership It also focuses on maximising Climate KIC’s impact lead on the big, cross theme, cross Geography revenue opportunities, working with Directors and local teams on strategy and implementation.
Climate-KIC is also leading a Cross-KIC financial sustainability initiative to identify and secure a range of new EU national and regional funding opportunities where the five EIT supported KICs (Climate-KIC, InnoEnergy, EIT Digital, EIT Raw Materials and EIT Health) can bring together their expertise to jointly deliver additional impact and enhance their future financial self-sustainability. This work will be led by an in-house Project Manager and Business Development Manager who will also report into you as Head of Business Development.
- Work with CFO and leadership team to develop and implement Climate-KIC revenue diversification strategy
- Identify and realize new funding streams and business opportunities
- Forge strategic partnerships in order to deliver a step change in revenue from funders other than EIT
- Develop and roll out effective frameworks, processes and policies
- Secure senior buy-in for and alignment with business development strategy
- Set challenging but achievable revenue targets for business development managers
- Lead and develop the business development team, ensuring effective deployment of resources, and supporting and managing performance
Key Working Relationships
- Central, Geography and Theme business development teams
- Geography and Theme Directors
- Innovation Leads
- Climate-KIC partners
- Public funding bodies
- Strategic alliances
Knowledge and Experience
- Experience of leading business development teams including target setting
- Proven track record of generating new business and achieving revenue growth in complex international organizations
- Revenue diversification strategy and fundraising experience
- Excellent track record of delivery against targets
- Strong knowledge of markets and fundraising channels relevant to Climate-KIC, including:
- National and EU grant funding
- Public procurement
- Foundations and Multi-national Institutions
- Experience of working across public and private sectors
Skills / Qualities
- Ambitious and target focussed with a drive to succeed
- Strong commercial acumen
- Strong intellect and strategic thinking skills
- Strong relationship management skills and ability to engage and influence high level stakeholders
- Ability to build and effectively leverage networks
- Strong and persuasive communicator
- Natural leader with an ability to motivate others
- Fluent in English (essential) plus one or more European lanugages (preferred)
Climate-KIC values diversity and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified candidates regardless of age, gender, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion or ethnic background.
Your application should consist of a full curriculum vitae and a covering letter describing briefly how your profile, skills and experience meet the criteria outlined in the person specification, and outlining your interest in and vision for the role.
Please send your full application to email@example.com.
Zu finden unter http://www.climate-kic.org/careers/head-business-development/
Bitte verweise in Deiner Bewerbung auf Gesines Jobtipps. Danke!