CSSP – Berlin Center for Integrative Mediation is looking for a highly motivated mediator as the main person in charge of our Egypt Mediation Project. The starting date is planned for 1st June 2014, conditional upon the final approval of the project proposal by ifa (Institut für Auslandsbeziehungen). The project will be implemented in 2014, an extension is planned and likely for 2015 and 2016.
Who we are
CSSP – Berlin Center for Integrative Mediation designs and implements political mediation processes together with local stakeholders in transitional societies. The organisation primarily assists political and community leaders to transform and resolve their conflicts through dialogue, trust-building and negotiation.
The non-profit organisation was founded in 2005 as a “lessons learned” project from Prof. Dr. Christian Schwarz-Schilling’s work as the International Mediator in Bosnia and Herzegovina (1995 – 2004). Until 2010, CSSP primarily focused on the Western Balkans. Since 2010, CSSP’s peace mediation outreach expanded to the Middle East and North Africa, South Asia and the Caucasus. Our main office is in Berlin, and we also have field offices in Bosnia and Herzegovina, and Kosovo as well as local partners in Egypt and Nepal.
Who we are looking for
CSSP is looking for a highly committed mediator to lead our mediation activities in Egypt and to become a member of our mediation team. Your main area of responsibility will be the implementation and development of our mediation activities in Egypt within a small team in close cooperation with the donor institution, the Federal Foreign Office and the German Embassy in Egypt as well as the local and international stakeholders. You will be the main person responsible for the implementation of the activities based on the project proposal as well as on the regulations of the donor institution and all relevant legal regulations. Furthermore, you will represent CSSP and its work on the political level in Egypt, Germany and internationally. The main working location is Berlin. You should be motivated and flexible enough to travel to Egypt once every six weeks for at least one week. The salary is based on the German TVöD Bund and reflects its leading position.
- Mediation certificate and experiences in mediation
- Experiences in working internationally
- Fluent English is a necessity, German is welcome; Egyptian Arabic is an asset
- Training experiences
- Experiences in working in the political sphere
- Background in conflict resolution studies, political science or international law
- Very strong written and verbal communication skills as well as professional and eloquent appearance
- Project management experiences and experiences in implementing projects with public funding are most welcome
- Knowledge of Egyptian social, political and economic structures is definitely an advantage
- High reliability and level of self-dependence
- Flexibility and willingness to learn and adapt to new structures
- Very good social competencies, especially in political crisis/ politically sensitive situations
Specific Areas of Responsibilities
- Implementation of the mediation activities in Egypt in 2014
- Lead of the Egypt mediation project and its team
- Conflict analysis and analysis of the political developments
- High level political meetings in Egypt and Germany
- Close cooperation with the donor institution ifa, the Federal Foreign Office and the German Embassy in Cairo as well as relevant institutions and stakeholders in Egypt and internationally
- External relations with the German Bundestag and close contact to local project partners
- Regular consultation with local stakeholders
- Regular reporting to donor institution and CSSP’s board
- Active contribution to CSSP’s mediation approach and the development of the organisation
- Development of a comprehensive approach of CSSP’s mediation activities in Egypt for 2015 and 2016
What CSSP offers you
Learning experience in a team of young professional and highly motivated national and international mediators and project managers. Active contribution to the field of Integrative and Peace Mediation and its development. Good working conditions in Berlin-Kreuzberg and Egypt. Possibility to network and cooperate with other peace mediators, the political sphere and people working in conflict transformation surroundings. Experiences in and contribution to the organisational development of a young NGO. CSSP is an equal opportunity employer. We therefore encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
How to apply
If you are interested, we are looking forward to your application via e-mail by 16th May 2014 to: firstname.lastname@example.org.