The IASS is an international, interdisciplinary research institute located in Potsdam, Germany. It is devoted to promoting science and research for global sustainability, particularly in the areas of climate change, the earth systems and social pathways to sustainability. The cluster “Global Contract for Sustainability (GCS)”, under the responsibility of IASS Executive Director Dr. Klaus Töpfer, focuses on the societal and political transformations that must take place in order to achieve sustainability. As a part of the cluster’s core work program, the IASS established the Global Soil Forum to provide a multi-stakeholder platform that promotes knowledge exchange, research and policy action on sustainable soil management and responsible land governance (www.globalsoilweek.org).
The IASS is currently seeking applications for an
Officer for public outreach and awareness raising (m/f)
We are looking for a dedicated team member to head the design and implementation of a well-rounded, multi-channel outreach strategy.
At the Global Soil Forum, we research the societal dimensions of the long neglected, but in human time frames non-renewable, natural resource soil. We draw the links between land degradation, infertile soils and climate change on the one hand and urbanisation, consumption and production patterns, land rights as well as water, food and energy security on the other. Our projects relate to relevant policy processes in the field of land and soil. Our aim is to bridge scientific communities and establish links to civil society and governments.
Hence we seek a creative and innovative strategy that will help us build awareness across various audiences and channels.
Our new team member would be expected to:
- Head the design of an awareness-raising strategy on the essential role of soil and land for sustainable development
- Plan and implement communications strategies across multiple channels (classic media, social media, event production, material publications etc.) and work together with the IASS’ Press & Communications department to develop coherent outreach activities
- Initiate and implement innovative event formats that have the ability to bridge communities (e.g. science, politics, civil society and the arts) and encourage multi-stakeholder dialogues
- Develop communications materials that make scientific knowledge accessible to a broader public
- Monitor and manage the content of our two most relevant project websites
- Spot opportunities to get our topics out to the media
- To develop and deliver inputs to a campaign strategy to gain political attention and mobilise the public to support change
What we offer:
- The possibility to make a visible impact within our ambitious institution
- An innovative working environment within a dynamic team of 15 members with two student assistants supporting the successful applicant in outreach and awareness raising activities
- The opportunity to work in high-profile, international research projects
- Excellent contacts to a range of national and international political and research organizations
- The position will be remunerated in accordance with the German salary group TVöD 13 (German civil servant salary scale, http://oeffentlicher-dienst.info/tvoed/b/ )
Requirements for the successful candidate:
- Be creative and a thought leader. This institute is highly innovative in its scientific approaches so we need someone who thinks “outside the box”.
- You should be educated to degree level or equivalent and have a professional qualification in communications, marketing or public relations or a sustainability-related field.
- Should have a keen interest and understanding of sustainability related topics
- You are required to have several years of experience in planning and managing outreach strategies across multiple channels. This includes a good understanding of how to influence through traditional and social media, as well as other event formats and outreach tools
- You should have outstanding written and verbal communication skills, and proven expertise at developing high quality communication materials, preferably, in a science-policy communications context
- A good working knowledge of website content management (e.g. with wordpress) is necessary and some experience with Photoshop would be an asset
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills in English. Basic communication skills in German are an asset.
- Excellent networking skills
- Enthusiasm, flexibility and a commitment to work within a transdisciplinary, policy-relevant field and as part of an international team
This position will run until December 2016 with a possibility of renewal.
Applications, including a cover letter and a full CV with two referees should be received no later than Sunday 4 th April 2014 by e-mail to Ms. Thando Tilmann (email@example.com). For further information and details on this position please contact Ms. Thando Tilmann.
The IASS is committed to equality of opportunity and welcomes applications from all sections of the community. Handicapped applicants will be given preference in case of equal qualifications.
IASS Institute for Advanced Sustainability Studies e.V.
Tel.: +49 331 288223-17