The Institute for Advanced Sustainability Studies e.V. (IASS) is an international, interdisciplinary research institute located in Potsdam, financed by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research and the Federal State of Brandenburg. As a part of the institute’s Sustainability Governance Programme, the IASS focuses on Ocean Governance and seeks to identify pathways for sustainability transformations in the Ocean. In this field, IASS is working closely with and advising governmental and intergovernmental institutions. Current research within the OceanGovernance team includes:
- Advancing innovation in and strengthening governance of ocean and coastal ecosystems
- Developing new forms of governance for areas beyond national jurisdiction
- Building a partnership for regional ocean governance
- Implementing the Agenda 2030 (Sustainable Development Goals) for the Ocean and Coasts
- Developing ecological safeguards for deep sea mining
For more information, please see: http://www.iass-potsdam.de/research-clusters/global-contract-sustainability/sustainability-governance/ocean-governance
To strengthen our Ocean Governance team, the IASS is currently seeking a
Project Coordinator – Strengthening Regional Ocean Governance for the High Seas
The successful candidate will work as a Project Coordinator for an international project on Strengthening Regional Ocean Governance for the High Seas. Pending final funding commitment from the donor agency, this international project will run for 5 years (funding period), involve several implementing and affiliated partners in two marine regions (the Southeast Pacific and Southeast Atlantic) to support regional organisations in the development of specific activities and measures in areas beyond national jurisdiction (ABNJ), strengthen region to region exchanges on good governance practices, and contribute to the current negotiation of a new legally binding agreement for the conservation and sustainable use of marine biological diversity in ABNJ under the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS).
The project will be implemented under the Partnership for Regional Ocean Governance (PROG). The PROG was initiated by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), the Institute for Sustainable Development and International Relations (IDDRI) und IASS as a platform at the science-policy interface to advance regional cooperation for the conservation and sustainable use of marine
ecosystems and resources.
The Project Coordinator will be responsible for the overall management of the project, coordinating the activities carried out by the implementing partners to ensure delivery of the project’s outputs within time and budget.
Under the supervision of the IASS Ocean Governance Lead, the Project Coordinator will:
- Be responsible for ensuring effective and efficient delivery of the project milestones and outputs within time and budget. In addition, the Project Coordinator will contribute to specific project deliverables.
- Work together with the Project Scientist and the Administrative Assistant and coordinate the activities undertaken by the implementing partners in the two marine regions to deliver the project’s outcomes;
- Take adequate management measures to ensure effective and efficient achievement of project outcomes and outputs and ensure that all the contracting requirements are being met, including the timely reporting on project progress and budget compliance;
- Ensure good and effective cooperation and communication with the implementing partners and affiliated partners to the project at national, regional and global levels as well as with the donor and other relevant stakeholders;
- Ensure coordination of the project delivery in line with IASS core-funded activities in Ocean Governance as well as the objectives and activities carried out under the Partnership for Regional Ocean Governance (PROG), and carry out other relevant tasks assigned by, and
mutually agreed with, the IASS Lead for Ocean Governance.
What we offer:
- The opportunity to work in a vibrant research environment in ocean governance and sustainability science;
- Excellent contacts to a range of international and national political and research organizations;
- A dynamic, multicultural, and interdisciplinary working environment;
- The position will be remunerated in accordance with salary groups of the German public service (TVöD).
- Relevant university degree in Resource Management, Marine Science, Environmental Science, Political Science, Development Studies, International Law or a related relevant field. A PhD will be an asset but qualified applicants without a PhD will also be considered;
- Strong project management skills with at least 10 years of professional experience in the management and coordination of projects, including within development cooperation and different cultural backgrounds;
- Strong diplomacy and communication skills and demonstrated experience in managing strategic partnerships with intergovernmental institutions and other relevant stakeholders;
- Strong leadership and people management experience, including coordination of project teams and supervision of staff;
- Strong writing skills and the ability to write and coordinate the preparation of project and budget reports;
- Ability to deliver results in a timely and satisfactory manner, even under complex situations;
- Research capabilities, with published peer-reviewed articles;
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills in English. Knowledge of German, French, and Spanish is an asset;
- Enthusiasm, flexibility and commitment to working within a transdisciplinary, policy-relevant field.
Pending final funding commitment by the donor agency, this position will be filled by 1 March 2017 and is for the project duration of five years. Applications, including a cover letter and a full CV with contact details of two referees, should be received no later than 20 November 2016 by e-mail to Ms. Stefanie Hansen (Stefanie.Hansen@iass-potsdam.de). For further information and details on this position, please contact Dr. Carole Durussel (Carole.Durussel@iass-potsdam.de).
The IASS is an equal opportunity employer; people with disabilities will be given preference in case of equal qualifications.
IASS, Institute for Advanced Sustainability Studies e.V.
Berliner Str. 130
Bewirb dich bitte nicht nach Ablauf der Frist. Danke!