Campaigns and Outreach Coordinator, Securing Civic Rights | International Civil Society Centre
Job Start Date – As soon as possible
Duration – 1 year, with potential extension depending on funding
Location – Berlin, Germany
The International Civil Society Centre helps the world’s leading international civil society organisations (ICSOs) maximise their impact for a sustainable and more equitable world.
The International Civil Society Centre (the Centre) works with ICSOs to develop strategies for successfully navigating change. We scan the horizon for exciting opportunities; enable learning and cooperation among ICSOs and their stakeholders; support ICSOs with developing effective leadership and promote robust accountability to strengthen ICSOs’ legitimacy. The Centre is a not-for-profit organisation fully owned by the organisations it serves. We strive to set high standards in management, governance and strategy for ICSOs and the wider sector.
With its Securing Civic Rights Programme, the Centre is addressing the current threat of shrinking spaces for civil society and civic participation. Since 2016, the Centre has increased its work in this area by facilitating the development of the Civic Charter – The Global Framework for People’s Participation. In the coming years, the Centre wants to continue adding value to the civil society sectors’ initiatives on securing and increasing civic space by implementing a three-pronged programme: (1) Promoting Citizen Participation through the Civic Charter; (2) Building Effective Multi-Sector Alliances for Civic Rights; and (3) Occupying New Spaces for Civic Participation.
The Centre is seeking an experienced Campaigns and Outreach Coordinator, who wants to support and develop communications and alliance-building around the Civic Rights project. The coordinator will work closely with the Civic Rights project team as well as with the Centre’s Programme and Communications Teams to develop an ambitious communications and outreach agenda towards defending civic rights globally. As the programme is in its developmental phase, the Centre is seeking a creative and pro-active individual who is flexible in taking on different tasks, and ready to take ownership to fulfil our ambitious plans and ideas.
Main tasks and responsibilities
- Work both independently and with external campaign strategists to develop and implement online campaigns around the Civic Charter and the wider programme
- Work with and increase network of project partners within civil society and other relevant sectors
- Conceptualise and coordinate communication concepts and strategies for the Civic Rights project
- Further develop the Civic Charter website (www.civiccharter.org): monitor sign-on, curate relevant content, ensure technological development
- Further develop our outreach in social media (Twitter etc.) in close cooperation with the Centre’s Communication Coordinator
- Compile and analyse online statistics/analytics for website and social media
- Develop project presentation material (flyers, banner, power point etc.)
- Liaise with external support, e.g. media agencies, designers, developers, translators
- Contribute to other Civic Rights project components, e.g. toolkits, case studies
- Work with other team members to further develop programme components
- Several years professional experience in online campaigning or advocacy work both at strategic and hands-on level
- Excellent communication, writing and editing skills
- Full proficiency in social media, analytics, mass mailing systems
- Strong creative and innovative thinking
- Excellent management and coordination skills, ability to work under pressure
- Independent and pro-active attitude, strong sense of ownership for assigned areas of responsibility
- Strong team working skills, also in an international context
- Solid knowledge of the civil society sector, preferably in citizen rights and civic participation
- Basic skills in photography and graphic design, and experience using Photoshop/InDesign, CMS (WordPress)
- Native-level English, knowledge of Spanish is a strong asset
The chance to design and contribute to an ambitious programme aiming at securing our most valuable rights as active citizens
- The possibility to be part of a dynamic organisation which supports the world’s top ICSOs
- The opportunity to apply and further develop your campaigning and communication skills
- A team-oriented and international work environment
- Highly motivated, enthusiastic colleagues
Working hours: 40 per week
Holidays: 26 days p.a.
Location: Berlin, Germany
Starting date: as soon as possible
Terms: 1-year contract, with potential extension depending on funding
Application for the position
Your application should
- consist of a CV and cover letter expressing your motivation (in English),
- contact details for two references,
- include your salary expectations
- be submitted through our online application form by 13 February 2017. Please send your application in one PDF-document, stating your name and the job reference COC201701 in the document title.
Interviews will take place on 27 and 28 February in Berlin. Please note that we can only contact short-listed candidates.
Bitte verweise in Deiner Bewerbung auf Gesines Jobtipps. Danke!