ONE is a campaign and advocacy organization backed by over three and a half million people from around the world and every walk of life who are committed to the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa. We hold world leaders to account for the promises made to the poorest, and we press them to put in place policies to promote and support development. We also work with leaders in Africa to support greater democracy, accountability and transparency. ONE operates from Berlin, Brussels, Johannesburg, London, Paris and Washington DC.
The Campaigns Assistant will support our campaign ONE Vote 2014 on the occasion of the European Parliamentary Elections with a strong focus on the Youth Ambassador Programme linked to this campaign. The aim of the ONE Vote 2014 campaign is to inform citizens and their future representatives in the European Parliament about the European Union’s role in ending extreme poverty and to foster support for a strong European development policy in the years to come.
The Campaigns Assistant will work closely with the Senior Campaigns Manager in Berlin and focus on the Youth Ambassador Programme and the ONE Vote 2014 campaign in the German market. The position is a junior / entry-level position for someone with at least one year of relevant work experience. However, strong candidates with a convincing track record in the relevant work areas from previous internships, traineeships, volunteering, and other projects will also be considered.
Reports To: Senior Campaigns Manager
Location: Berlin, with some travel within Germany and potentially to other European locations
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assisting in the recruitment, supervision and training of the Youth Ambassadors, including the development of action ideas, supporting the Youth Ambassadors with the implementation of actions, support the Youth Ambassadors’ outreach to policy makers and other stakeholders, track, document and showcase the actions taken by the Youth Ambassadors
- Organization of two workshops for the Youth Ambassadors, including developing the workshop programmes, organizing the events, coordinating the logistics, budgeting and controlling
- Organization of other events and campaign actions, in Berlin and locally in other parts of Germany
- Support the execution of the digital elements of the campaign, including drafting and translating texts for the German ONE website, the German ONE blog and for ONE’s German social media, revising and editing blog posts by the Youth Ambassadors as needed
- Help to grow, activate and manage ONE’s members and volunteers
- Support the production, distribution and management of ONE campaign materials
- Provide project support to team members including preparing meeting agendas, drafting meeting materials, leading on follow up action items from each meeting, input to internal / external reporting, support the management of the campaign budget
- Any other duties as required by the role
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Proactive, a doer capable of driving projects in a fast-paced environment with shifting priorities and occasional heavy workloads
- Proven ability to multi-task, flexibility, ability to work to tight deadlines
- Interest and first experience in political communications, campaigning and / or public mobilization
- Ability to motivate, manage and lead a diverse group of volunteers
- Affinity for online media and digital campaigning, previous experience in the area a plus
- Very strong German writing skills, ability to convey complex policy issues in an understandable, precise and activating way
- Understanding of EU politics and of the German political system required, understanding of international development and Africa a plus
- Strong interpersonal skills, loyalty, able to work effectively in a team
- Reliability and strong sense of responsibility
- Excellent planning and organizational skills with high attention to detail
- Eager to learn and develop on the job
- German native speaker with an excellent feeling for compelling language
- Proficiency in English essential, both in writing and orally
- University degree in a relevant area, preferably politics and communications
- A commitment to ONE’s aims
Application deadline: 6. April 2014
Interviews: Mid – Late April 2014
To Apply: Please send your application to email@example.com including the job title “Campaigns Assistant” in the subject line. Please state your earliest possible entry date as we are looking to fill this position as soon as possible.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however we are only able to contact those who have been shortlisted. Therefore if you have not heard from us within 2 weeks of the closing date, please assume your application has been unsuccessful at this time.