ONE is a global campaign and advocacy organization backed by over 7 million people from around the world who are committed to the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa. We hold world leaders to account for promises made, and we press them to support policies in development policy and finance, transparency and governance. We also work with leaders in Africa to support greater democracy, accountability and transparency. ONE operates from Abuja, Berlin, Brussels, Johannesburg, London, New York, Ottawa, Paris, Rotterdam and Washington DC.
ABOUT THIS OPPORTUNITY
ONE is looking for a Policy and Advocacy Manager based in London, Berlin, Paris or Brussels to support our work on global security and development, including our refugee and humanitarian work. This is a new area of work for ONE and we are looking for someone to join a new team The Manager will work with colleagues across the organization to provide policy analysis and guidance in support of the overall global security and development agenda, including our work on humanitarian and refugee issues. They will develop and maintain relationships to inform our policies and ensure they are politically relevant, work closely with ONE’s government relations leads, and develop key partnerships.
The ideal candidate will be a great team player, with a first-rate understanding of how policy and advocacy interact, proven ability to maintain productive relationships with policymakers, and successful experience of working in partnerships. Most importantly, they will have huge drive and determination to help ONE to play its part in addressing the escalating refugee crises and humanitarian needs, in the context of our overall mission to end extreme poverty and preventable disease. This is a temporary 6-9 month engagement reporting to the Europe Executive Director (Interim) based in London.
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL:
- Create, maintain and leverage partnerships, relationships with key stakeholders, policy contacts, agencies, governments and thought leaders;
- Analyze data and write comprehensive briefs;
- Undertake research and policy analysis relating to global security and development;
- Prepare documents on key development and security issues – for ONE’s website, for blog posts, for talking points, and for briefings for senior policymakers and principals;
- Organize events within a small team;
- Work closely with colleagues in the Global Policy team to ensure all of ONE’s other policy issues are reflected in our overall global security and humanitarian agenda;
- Work with ONE’s communications, advocacy and campaigns teams to deliver organization-wide activities on global security and development issues;
- Any other duties as appropriate to the role.
WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU:
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in a development-related, international relations, or economics field, or equivalent work experience
- At least four years’ experience of working in a policy, advocacy, partnerships or other relevant role, preferably within the international development sector
- Excellent political nous and understanding of national, regional and global political processes
- Experience of multilateral institutions and extensive contacts within multilateral development banks and regional organisations an advantage
- Demonstrable track record of delivering results
- Positive, constructive, can-do attitude
- Flexibility to respond to last minute requests and ability to turn work around fast
- Demonstrable understanding of the links between advocacy, policy-making, legislation, and implementation
- Outstanding research, writing and analytical skills, including the ability to synthesize complex policy issues into digestible briefings and communicate to non-specialist audiences
- Excellent communications skills, with experience of influencing stakeholders and establishing and maintaining strong partnerships
- A global outlook with the ability to work within a global team
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment and strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Flexible, resourceful and innovative with the ability to manage competing priorities in a rapidly changing environment
- A commitment to ONE’s aims
- Fluent English essential, French or Arabic desirable, other languages a plus.
If you are ready to join the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease, please submit an application, resume, and a cover letter (explaining why you are the best person for the job) on our jobs page. Candidates that do not provide cover letters will not be considered. This is a rolling recruitment, and we will conclude the search once we’ve identified a suitable candidate. We thank all candidates for their interest; however we are only able to contact those who we decide to interview. No phone calls please.
Only candidates authorized to work in the EU without any restrictions need apply.