The Policy and Research Assistant will support the Policy and Advocacy Manager. Duties will include drafting ONE’s policy positions in regard to the German G20 Presidency and summit as well as the German Federal elections. The jobholder will be responsible for monitoring relevant political processes and academic discussions in regard to the G20. The ideal candidate will be a great team player who is able to handle a varied and fast paced role. S/he is familiar with international development issues, has a demonstrable interest in Africa, and has strong quantitative analysis skills. The Policy and Research Assistant reports to the Policy and Advocacy Manager and is based in our Berlin office. Please note that this is a fixed term opportunity lasting until November 2017.
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL:
- Contribute research and policy insight for ONE’s agenda during the German G20 presidency. This includes issues such as global stability, public health, food security and nutrition, the empowerment of women and girls, education, as well as transparency and accountability
- Support the Policy and Advocacy Manager in delivering ensuring ambitious language on our ONE’s policy issues is included in the next governments coalition treaty.
- Draft, edit and supervise the translation of documents for use with Germany stakeholders including ONEs global policy reports, position papers, policy briefings and other relevant documents.
- Uses independent judgment in balancing and adhering to long and short term deadlines and completing activities.
- Ensure a constant monitoring of key political decision makers and political processes as well as of reports relevant to ONE Germany´s goals.
- Ensure the policy information contained ONE Germany’s media and campaign work during the year of the German G20 presidency effort is factual and coherent, through efficient fact checking and monitoring.
- Draws on and liaises with ONE’s global policy team as required to ensure German policy positions are represented in global policy discussions.
- Any other duties as required.
WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU:
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in international development, politics, economics or a related area.
- Relevant work experience, in a policy research or policy development role within the international development arena.
- Understanding of key bilateral and multilateral development implementers and their links to NGOs and politicians.
- Demonstrable knowledge of key political decision makers as well as knowledge of the G20, the German development debate among civil society organizations and research institutions relevant for ONE´s activities.
- Some understanding or experience of development issues in Africa.
- Ability to synthesise research documents with eye to relevance to ONE.
- Quick turnaround research skills—must have the ability to seek out key facts and statistics that help explain complicated policy topics to broad audience.
- Good written communication skills for different audiences.
- Excellent oral and written English and German skills are a must.
If you are ready to join the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease, submit an application and a cover letter with salary history and desired salary on our jobs page. The deadline for this application is 15 January 2017. We thank all candidates for their interest; however, we are only able to contact those who have been shortlisted. Therefore, if you have not heard from us within two weeks of the closing date, please assume your application has been unsuccessful at this time.
Only candidates authorised to work in Germany without any restrictions need apply.
Please apply here.
Bewirb dich bitte nicht nach Ablauf der Frist. Danke!