This is a start-up environment, so you’re going to be doing everything from drafting campaign emails to SumOfUs members in less than an hour, to preparing campaign strategies, to number crunching our recent fundraising blast, to getting banners printed at 10:30pm at the only open print shop in Munich the night before a stunt. In other words: this is not an analyst or policy research position!
But if you’ve got ideas for how to take on multinational corporations with a few thousand Euros, a Twitter account and a gorilla suit; if you want to figure out how we can leverage huge amounts of data to empower our members to change the world; if you’ve read Lean StartUp and have a natural MVP mindset; if you’ve ever created a piece of content that’s “gone viral”; if you want a chance to be part of something world-changing from the beginning – you could be the perfect candidate.
Here are some things you’ll be doing:
- Lead winning campaigns targeting corporations operating around the world;
- Write email alerts designed to prompt our members to take action;
- Coordinate with partners in Germany and around the globe;
- Develop and implement strategic tactics to win campaigns;
- Support junior campaigners, and project-manage contractors;
- Other roles, as needed.
We need someone who:
- Speaks English fluently;
- Speaks and writes native-level German fluently;
- Has strong campaigning and organizing instincts; can spot a compelling or winnable campaign a kilometer away and knows what it takes to motivate people to take action;
- Is a top-notch project manager, and can juggle many projects at once without ever dropping something critical;
- Can work effectively in a virtual office with a diverse and geographically dispersed team;
- Has access to reliable high-speed internet;
- Is comfortable with new technology and social media — can easily pick up and learn new technologies, from project management tools to Google Analytics;
- Is dedicated to building a fairer and more sustainable global economy.
Big pluses include:
- Experience working in global, multinational, or multilingual campaign organisations;
- Pre-existing networks with marginalised communities;
- Pre-existing relationships with key German advocacy organizations, especially unions and other corporate accountability-focused campaigning groups;
- Track record of identifying and building narrative around campaigns that appeal to German audiences;
- Deep understanding of the MoveOn/Avaaz/Campact model of rapid-response email organizing;
- Experience with corporate campaigning or corporate accountability issues;
- Experience working in or closely with the labour movement or socially responsible investing community;
- Eager to find new ways of building and winning campaigns, as well as mobilizing communities traditionally left out of online campaigning;
- Experience living or working in multiple regions of the world;
- Deep understanding of the operations, structures, regulations, and incentives within a key industry or corporate sector — mining, finance, agriculture, etc.
- Tech & design skills (eg, CSS, SQL, video editing) and/or the ability to manage developers;
- Media pitching experience and/or relationships with political or business journalists (especially in Germany and/or Austria and Switzerland);
- Ability to travel internationally on a fairly regular basis and on short notice.
(Yes, this is a big list! But you don’t need to have all them – just a few would be great.)
How to apply:
We’ll be accepting applications until Sunday, August 24, 2014.
Please use the form below to send a resume or CV. Instead of writing a traditional cover letter, answer these four questions in English (no novels! Keep it concise):
- Why are you applying for this job? (Suggested word limit: 125)
- Name 2 campaigns you think SumOfUs should be running (Suggested word limit: 75 words each). Make sure you include the target of the campaign (who are we asking to do something?) and the ask (what are we asking them to do?). You can see some recent examples of the types of campaigns we run here: http://sumofus.org/campaigns/.
- List which of the “BIG PLUS” qualifications above you believe you bring to the table (no need to elaborate; just list them).
If you have questions about this or other jobs, please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We have no formal education requirements – if you can do and grow with the job, that’s all that matters. We are flexible on exact qualifications, but we expect to hire someone for this position with between 1 and 8 years of professional experience, and the successful candidate is likely to have at least some volunteer or professional experience in some form of campaigning, organizing or advocacy work.
Compensation is competitive (we believe in fairly compensating employees!) and will be determined based on a combination of experience, seniority, and the country you live in (for some context: for qualified applicants, this position in a German city like Berlin would be likely to pay in approximately the range of €30,000-50,000 – but exact figures may vary depending on experience, seniority, cost of living, and additional factors).
We offer significant benefits, including five weeks paid vacation (plus additional sick leave and all major holidays off), and the ability to work from home and some flexibility to set your own hours. We cover 100% of a private health insurance premium for employees who live in countries without public health insurance. As a start-up, we are still establishing policies around employee benefits — in particular, around time off for professional development, maternity/paternity leave, retirement matching, and others. Bottom line: You can be assured we treat our employees fairly, if only because we campaign against corporations that don’t.
This position will report to a Campaign Director.
SumOfUs is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of SumOfUs to provide equal employment opportunity to all applicants for employment and employees and not to discriminate because of race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, disability, marital status, personal appearance, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, matriculation, genetic information, or political affiliation. Equal employment opportunities will be provided in employment, recruitment, selection, compensation, benefits, promotion, demotion, layoff, termination and all other terms and conditions of employment.
People from communities that traditionally experience discrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity or immigration status; women; people with disabilities; and LGBT people are especially encouraged to apply.