We are seeking a highly motivated individual to work within the senior management team at Tactical Tech. The successful candidate will have extensive experience of working at a management level within the NGO sector, they will have a shared commitment to the mission and goals of Tactical Tech and have wide-ranging experience implementing international projects in the non-profit sector. This is a job for someone who would like to work within the senior team to ensure the smooth day-to-day running of Tactical Tech, making sure our project maintains a high standard of impact and that our team is able to excel.
Job Description: Deputy Director
This is a senior management position reporting to the Executive Director.
Under the direction and leadership of the co-founders, the Deputy Director will be responsible for the day-to-day running of Tactical Tech in collaboration with the programme, production and operations teams. S/He shall implement the organization’s vision as established in the Strategic Plan and ensure ongoing programmatic and operational excellence. The Deputy Director will work with the different teams at Tactical Tech to ensure that the organisation is able to effectively deliver on its strategy and plans and maintains a high level of thoroughness and transparency.
1. Primary role (approximately 60% of the Deputy Director’s time for which they will take responsibility)
- Lead overall coordination between the programme and production teams and develop synergies, ensuring the necessary resources, funding, systems and processes are in place
- Enhance inter-team communication and cohesiveness, across the organisation, coherence in Tactical Tech’s organisational culture and support staff during organizational growth
- Oversee the development of projects and the allocation of resources for these projects, in line with the organisational strategy
- Coach and support programme and production team members, empowering them to implement their work and to meet their responsibilities to a high standard
- Advise project staff on implementation, and provide support in decision making, in reviewing progress and in contingency planning
- Ensure the organisation can evaluate and report on its work and communicate this effectively
- Work with programme staff to identify and put in place the necessary systems, processes and tools to better support the facilitation, collection, and sharing of knowledge generated by projects and activities
- Work with the Executive Director on business development, including fundraising, developing strategic partnerships and raising the profile of the organisation.
2. Secondary role (approximately 30% of the Deputy Director’s time on which they will share responsibility or collaborate)
- Collaborate with the Director of Operations to ensure effectiveness and compliance and that the organisation implements projects according to contractual commitments, adheres to work plans and timelines, has adequate resources needed to achieve its programme goals and consistently produces high-quality outcomes.
- Support the programme and production teams in adhering to policies and guidelines, monitoring progress and ensuring that they have the necessary support and guidance in managing and implementing projects
- Coordinate with the Senior Management Team and the Communications Coordinator to ensure Tactical Tech’s work and mission is clearly represented, building a widespread international base of partners, maintaining and expanding the quality and depth of reach to its target audience.
- Liaise with existing funders, partners and clients in coordination with the Senior Management Team and manage relationships with key partner organizations
3. Other Duties (approximately 10% of the Deputy Director’s time)
- Support and represent Tactical Tech, its ideals, approach and values internally and externally
- Act as a representative of the organisation to partners, funders and at sector and public events
- Play an active role in Tactical Tech’s on-going development as a senior member of a dynamic team
- Contribute to Tactical Tech’s other activities as appropriate
- Demonstrable commitment to TTC’s mission and values including an active understanding of the sector and issues Tactical Tech works with and the geo-political contexts it operates in
- Strong leadership and management skills and at least five years experience working within and building up teams
- At least three years experience implementing, managing and reporting on large scale grants in an NGO environment including budget management and planning
- A Team Leader who can interrelate and operate effectively with peers and other associates from various international backgrounds within a collegial, yet demanding, work environment
- Extensive project management and project implementation experience, ideally working in capacity building, production or event based projects
- Well developed skills and awareness of working with digital technologies, data and information in the context of advocacy
- Fluent in written and spoken English, with excellent English writing skills
- Flourishes as part of a dynamic, international team
- Comfortable with international travel, sensitivity to different situations and experience working in different environments, such as politically repressive or infrastructure-challenged environments
- Previous experience in a comparable role in a similar organisation
- Field experience as a facilitator, trainer and/or event organiser
- Direct experience of the production process (film, web and/or print)
- Good networking and outreach skills
- An existing international network of civil society groups from the human rights, environmental or anti-corruption movements or from the tech-activist sector
- Working knowledge of French, Spanish or Arabic.
Salary is dependent on experience and qualifications.
This is a full time post and will be based in Berlin, Germany and the applicant must be legally entitled to live and work in Germany.
This post involves international travel.
Please apply with a full CV and motivation letter explaining why you think you are the right candidate for this post and why you would like to work with Tactical Tech. Please send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will close 31st March 2014 and interviews will take place during the second week of April.