Tactical Tech is an international NGO, with an office in Berlin, which works with an international network of partners to assist rights, accountability and transparency advocates and activists to use information and digital technologies effectively in their work.
We are an international, dynamic team and this new role is crucial to support the efficiency of the organisation’s operations function as well as day to day work in the office.
Level: Coordinator level (mid to senior)
The Politics of Data Researcher will be responsible for contributing to Tactical Tech’s content, strategy and advice on issues related to living in a quantified society. For this purpose, the researcher will bring in their practical and technical knowledge to support Tactical Tech in public education and influence interventions, as well as research and investigation projects. In line with Tactical Tech’s approach, the candidate will be able to translate highly technical and advanced research and content to language and visuals that resonates with non-technical audiences. They will draw on their own professional experience (researcher, journalist, practitioner) to provide high quality, engaging thought pieces.
They will be part of a team of trainers, researchers and coordinators, who work on public education, advocacy, curriculum, and research projects related to personal data and the quantified society. The researcher will work closely with different teams as well as with the Executive Director. They will conduct investigations and research for the project website, self-learning materials and others. They will also contribute to the organisation-wide debate on privacy and provide input to relevant grant reports, strategies, project proposals and other discussions with carefully researched input. They will further support to internal skill shares,trainings, and flash trainings. They shall ensure the high quality, timeliness and accuracy of our work. The Politics of Data Researcher will report to a member of the Senior Management Team/project lead.
Main job tasks and responsibilities
Research on issues related to our work in the area of the Politics of Data, such as data and discrimination , the impact of data on political participation, as well as the data collection and profiling around movement, borders and financial flows. The Researcher will ensure overall timely and quality input to Tactical Tech content and products.
The successful candidate will
- Contribute with technical expertise to internal organisational wide discussions and strategy development;
- Translate research and investigation findings into products that meet high visual and content standards and are accessible for a non-expert audience;
- Write and present complex non-technical material to a variety of audiences and in a number of formats (i.e. online, print publications, learning materials, press texts);
- Work across projects and teams to provide advice and input from a content perspective with a focus on data, privacy and profiling;
- Provide input to grant reports, proposals, website and board reports as appropriate;
- Support and conduct internal skill shares and external event-related awareness raising events or trainings;
- Contribute to collecting project related data to monitor grant indicators and share grant lessons learned within team;
- Take an active role in increasing their own skills and contributing to the team’s skill development;
- Undertake any other reasonable duties, which may be required.
Education and professional experience
- Demonstrated expertise in an area relevant to the Politics of Data, with a background in journalism, research or related discipline.
- Native or near native written English, additional languages an advantage;
- Established track record in data, privacy and tech with a strong practical approach.
- Experience in working on social justice issues and how these overlap with digital and data issues;
- Proven ability to write in a non-academic, engaging manner for non-technical audiences in a number of formats;
- Demonstrable commitment to Tactical Tech’s mission and values, including an understanding of the geopolitical contexts in which Tactical Tech’s work is carried out;
- Excellent skills in using open source office software;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to get input from colleagues without line management responsibility;
- Experience working internationally and a sensitivity to political situations and different views of the world.
- Investigation, research and writing skills for non technical audiences in a number of formats;
- At least 5 years experience in similar position;
- Excellent grant and project management skills;
- Curiosity and inquisitiveness about the world around you;
- Excellent communication and technical skills;
- The ability to work in a variety of team settings;
- Good problem-solving skills, with a hands-on and can-do approach;
- Ability to produce results under pressure and within tight deadlines;
- Ability to work flexibly in a dynamic and fast moving environment and comfortable with creative and iterative processes;
- Demonstrable understanding and knowledge of the issues Tactical Tech works on.
This is a mid to senior level position, depending on experience. Graduates with more than five years experience are encouraged to apply. The salary is based upon our internal salary scales for coordinators and is competitive for a Berlin-based non-profit. This is a one-year, full time position, which is tied to a current grant, with a three month probation period. We hope to extend the position, depending on available funds and performance. You should have the right to live and work in Europe with an existing work visa for the European Union. Please do not apply if you need a work visa, as we do not have the capacity to support you in getting one.
Please apply via email to firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line “Research” with your CV and a covering letter in a PDF format outlining your suitability for the post by January 22nd 2017. Interviews will take place during February 2017.
Only successful candidates will be contacted. Unfortunately we do not have the capacity to respond to individual phone and email inquiries.
Zu finden unter https://tacticaltech.org/jobs/researcher
Bewirb dich bitte nicht nach Ablauf der Frist. Danke!