Director of Communications
Application Closing Date – 30 May 2014
Job Start Date – As soon as possible
Duration – 2 years
Pay Scale – Grade: V
Location – Berlin, Germany
Transparency International (TI) is the global civil society organisation leading the fight against corruption. Through more than 90 chapters worldwide and an international secretariat in Berlin, Germany, TI raises awareness of the damaging effects of corruption and works with partners in government, business and civil society to develop and implement effective measures to tackle it.
TI has developed a 5-year strategy (TI Strategy 2015) which builds on past work, but also sets out an ambitious new direction for the TI Movement. A central component of the TI-Secretariat’s implementation of this strategy is a stronger focus on communications at the global and local levels to generate more active engagement in the fight against corruption.
Over the past few years, TI’s communications have made a significant impact towards increasing public awareness and understanding of the issue of corruption. Our efforts have become grounded in the everyday concerns of people. We are increasingly demonstrating that people can resist corruption and that institutional change is possible, thereby translating awareness into action. Scaling up our communication capacity to demonstrate impact and the tangible benefits of fighting corruption will make our work better understood, more inspirational to those people ready to take action and more attractive to potential supporters.
The position of Director of Communications offers a unique opportunity to shape and deliver to the world the messages that communicate and enable Transparency International’s work against corruption. The Director will have a passion and intense interest in TI’s mission, be an outstanding public communicator with a proven track-record and will have substantial experience in social media, as well as communications leadership and management.
Starting date: 1 July 2014
Duration: 2 years with the possibility of extension
Location: TI-Secretariat, Berlin, Germany
Job Level: Department Director (job grade: V)
Reporting lines: Reports to Group Director, External Relations
Main functions: The Director of Communications will develop, lead and implement a new communications strategy, in line with the organisational priorities set in TI’s Strategy 2015. Reporting to the Group Director, External Relations, the Director of Communications will focus on the following:
1. Develop and implement TI’s communications strategy
- Develop a dynamic and effective social media approach
- Develop new channels and methods to improve the overall public awareness and understanding of TI´s work
- Identify and engage new audiences
- Devise and implement tactics to support campaigns and advocacy work
- Actively engage the participation of the movement in the design and delivery of the strategy
- Develop public messages according to key target audiences
- Support National Chapter communications work where appropriate and facilitate movement-wide exchange of communications best practices
2. Advance TI’s public profile
- Identify influential and strategic opportunities for TI leaders to speak and present TI’s messages
- Manage the development of key speeches, presentations and articles, ensuring strategic coherence
- Provide communications support for TI’s fundraising efforts
- Manage TI’s public profile through its publications, on-line presence and social media
- Enhance and protect TI’s brand and reputation
- Handle public crisis response to deal with threats against TI National Chapters or individual anti-corruption activists
3. Manage TI’s Communications’ Department
- Manage an efficient, innovative and cost-effective Communications Department
- Oversee the media and public relations, online communications, and editorial and publishing units
- Oversee the development of TI’s communications tools and manage the production of key TI publications
- Lead and coordinate communications from the International Secretariat to the global TI Movement
- Support and encourage effective communication between TI’s National Chapters, and between the Chapters and the Secretariat
4. Lead TI’s media relations and social media outreach
- Proactively convey TI’s policies and products to influential media, social media and other audiences
- Identify and seize opportunities to react to events and breaking news to position TI
- Guide and train staff in communicating with and through traditional and social media
- Facilitate development TI’s audiovisual communications
- Coordinate with National Chapters to advocate TI’s views on relevant issues
Knowledge, experience and skills:
- 10 years of management experience
- Ability to provide inspiring leadership and effective management
- Ability to achieve results under pressure and budgetary constraints
- Combination of strategic thinking and hands-on application to get results
- Political awareness and ability to handle sensitive issues with diplomacy in many different cultural settings
- Effective communicator in written and spoken English (to native speaker standard), excellent writing and editing skills are essential
- Fluency in one or more major world languages an advantage, in particular Spanish, French, Arabic or Russian
- Global advocacy campaigning experience
- Knowledge and interest in corruption, governance and development issues
- Experience working in an international setting
TI Secretariat reserves the right to appoint to another staff level subject to education and qualifications.
Other information about the post and duty station:
Transparency International and its global network offer an inspiring work environment with real learning opportunities and support. Berlin is an attractive metropolitan city with relatively low cost of living.
Qualified candidates should submit, preferably via email, a cover letter and CV in English to:
Deadline for applications is 30 May 2014.
Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted. Transparency International is an equal opportunity employer.
To learn more about Transparency International, visit our website at www.transparency.org
Gefunden unter http://www.transparency.org/whoweare/work/director_of_communications/0/