Application Closing Date – 15 Jan 2017
Job Start Date – As soon as possible
Duration – to be determined
Pay Scale – Job Grade MD
Location – Berlin, Germany
* updated 23 December 2016 *
Transparency International (TI) is the global civil society organisation leading the fight against corruption. Through more than 100 chapters worldwide and an international secretariat in Berlin, Germany, TI raises awareness of the damaging effects of corruption and works with partners in government, business and civil society to develop and implement effective measures to tackle it.
TI has developed a five-year strategy (“Transparency International Strategy 2020”) which sets out its collective ambition for the coming years. Following the finalization and announcement of the strategy and the corresponding TI-Secretariat Implementation Plan, TI has embarked on a transformation journey to focus and enhance the role of TI-Secretariat (TI-S) relative to the key levers of the 2020 Strategy and to increase its impact in several dimensions:
- as a targeted support for the chapters
- as an orchestrator of globally coordinated but locally specific practices and approaches
- as a source of TI activities with global/regional scope
- and as a key contributor to fundraising and efficient resource allocation across the movement.
As an essential element of this process, TI identified the need to rethink, adapt, and expand leadership and collaboration to the next era, both on the level of mindset and culture as well as on the level of organization and processes.
Regarding the organizational setup, TI has decided to implement a very visible change by splitting the responsibilities which have been so far bundled in the Managing Director role into two top roles: The Managing Director (external) role for the overall leadership of TI and a newly created Managing Director (TI-S) role to lead the Secretariat, both directly reporting to the Chair and the Vice Chair of the Board of Directors of TI.
The Managing Director (TI-S) will have line responsibility for the entire TI-S staff and focus the organization on the core contributions to TI’s global success in the areas of idea generation, best practice sharing, new forms of partnerships, establishing best in class fundraising, providing operative services to all chapters, and adding the required global layer of finance, IT, compliance etc.
S/he will be a co-leader, requiring very close coordination with the Managing Director (external) and a spirit of productive checks and balances, in
- Strengthening the shared purpose and shared identity of the entire network of TI chapters and TI-S, orchestrating the implementation of the 2020 Strategy and the development, professionalization, and generational change across all chapters
- Developing a shared understanding for a well-structured balance of purely local activities, more-than-one-chapter activities, and globally coordinated activities
- Understanding and addressing the demands for central support through TI-S and creating the buy in for global standards where necessary
Main function: The Managing Director (TI-S) reports to the Chair and Vice Chair of the Board of Directors and is overall responsible for managing the Transparency International Secretariat in Berlin, providing strategic vision and leadership, driving operations excellence, orchestrating fundraising, and contributing to financial stability.
Starting date: As soon as possible
Location: TI-Secretariat (TI-S), Berlin, Germany
Reporting lines: Chair and Vice Chair of the Transparency International Board of Directors
Job grade: MD
Provide Strategic Vision and Leadership for TI-S
- Collaborate with the Managing Director (external) and the board to refine and implement the strategic plan while ensuring that the budget, staff, and priorities are aligned with TI-S core mission
- Provide inspirational leadership and direction and ensure the continued development and management of a professional and efficient organization; establish effective decision-making processes that will enable TI-S to achieve its long and short term goals and objectives
- Cultivate a strong and transparent working relationship with the Managing Director (external) and the board and ensure open communication about the measurement of financial, programmatic, and impact performance against stated milestones and goals
Drive Operations Excellence in TI-S
- Ensure ongoing local programmatic excellence, rigorous program evaluation, and consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications, and systems; recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals
- Ensure the delivery of high quality services while managing for current and future growth
- Oversee the financial status of the organization including developing long and short range financial plans, monitoring the budget, and ensuring sound financial controls are in place; set financial priorities accurately to ensure the organization is operating in a manner that supports the needs of the program and staff
- Facilitate cross-departmental collaboration and strengthen internal communications with staff throughout the organization; create and promote a positive, multicultural work environment that supports consistency throughout the organization’s strategy, operational methods, and data collection needs
- Build, lead, coach & develop, TI-S team through effective systems to track scaling progress, and regularly evaluate programs, so as to measure impact and relevance
Orchestrate Fundraising and Contribute to Financial Stability
- Expand local revenue generating and fundraising activities to support existing program operations and regional expansions
- Formulate and execute comprehensive fundraising, branding and development strategies that will ensure consistency throughout the organization and enhance revenue from major donors, foundations, government agencies, and private corporations
- Ensure that the flow of funds permits TI-S to make continuous progress towards the achievement of its mission and that those funds are allocated properly to reflect present needs and future potential
- 10+ years of relevant professional experience, at least some of these years in mission-driven environments
- Management experience in complex settings, i.e. multisite, network architecture, management through influencing
- Operations management expertise (i.e. Finance, IT, HR, central support)
- Capability to orchestrate fundraising (i.e. line responsibility, consulting, committee work, etc.)
- Complex stakeholder management experience
- Experience in organizational development
- International experience, i.e. long-term activity in an international environment and/or experience abroad including fluent English skills
- Excellent coalition building skills with an ability to communicate and work effectively in a very culturally diverse environment; a persuasive negotiator able to achieve consensus amongst differing opinions and mind-sets
- Outstanding presentation and communication skills and the experience and proclivity to be an outgoing spokesperson, relationship builder, and fundraiser
- Strong commitment to the professional development of staff; successful track record of recruiting and retaining a diverse team
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed
Other information about the post and the location:
Transparency International and its global network offer an inspiring work environment with real learning opportunities and support. Berlin is an attractive metropolitan city with relatively low cost of living.
Qualified candidates should submit, preferably via email, a cover letter and detailed CV in English, as well as contact details of at least three references, (in one pdf-file) to:
Deadline for applications is Sunday, 15 January 2017.
Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Transparency International is an equal opportunity employer.
To learn more about Transparency International, visit our website at www.transparency.org
* updated 23 December 2016 *
The international fight against corruption needs your expertise, your skills and experience, and your passion for social justice.
From our secretariat in Berlin and in more than 100 national chapters, Transparency International seeks professionals and volunteers with exceptional talent and commitment to join our efforts and make a contribution to a better world.
Bewirb dich bitte nicht nach Ablauf der Frist. Danke!