Regional Coordinator Pacific
Application Closing Date – 30 Mar 2014
Job Start Date – As soon as possible
Duration – Limited for 2 years with the possibility of extension
Pay Scale – Grade: III
Location – Berlin, Germany
Transparency International (TI) is the global civil society organisation leading the fight against corruption. Through more than 100 chapters worldwide and an international secretariat in Berlin, Germany, TI raises awareness of the damaging effects of corruption and works with partners in government, business and civil society to develop and implement effective measures to tackle it.
TI-S’ 5-year Implementation Plan sets out ambitious directions for the secretariat. In particular, there is an emphasis on organizing our work around the six Key Programmes. A key role of the Regional Department is to spearhead and support the implementation of various components of these programmes in the region across the network of Chapters. In this context, the Regional Coordinators support TI Chapters in their anti-corruption efforts, coordinate and implement capacity development in the region and develop programmes and projects in collaboration with chapters to support the implementation of TI’s 2015 strategy. This position is for one of the four Regional Coordinators in the Asia Pacific Department, where we seek a highly motivated, dynamic and results-oriented professional to work as Regional coordinator for the Pacific.
Main function: The Regional Coordinator Pacific is responsible for strengthening TI’s presence, reputation and impact in the following countries — Australia, Fiji, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands and Vanuatu, with plans to expand work in Timor-Leste —where s/he is the primary TI-S contact. Working with the Regional Director and/or Regional Outreach Manager, s/he represents TI in regional institutions, supports Chapters’ work/representation at national level, monitors political developments, identifies reputational risks, coordinates capacity development and advocacy interventions, and ensures implementation of the Accreditation Policy.
Starting date: As soon as possible
Duration: limited for 2 years with the possibility of extension
Location: TI-Secretariat, Berlin, Germany
Department: Asia Pacific
Reporting lines: Regional Director
Job grade: III
- Monitor the political situation, anti-corruption developments, reputational risks and media opportunities in assigned countries to provide timely information to the Regional Director, Regional Outreach Manager, Regional Programme Manager, Programme Coordinators, Rapid Response Unit, SAFE Unit, and Communication Department – and to provide locally relevant anti-corruption insights to internal and external stakeholders.
- Engage in Chapters’ national level advocacy work, advising on the application of TI tools and programmes in the region where applicable and supporting their fundraising efforts, while being able to respond to direct enquiries from individuals.
- Facilitate and assist Chapter capacity building initiatives and fundraising for new local projects.
- Promote and support all aspects of capacity development, citizen engagement, knowledge exchange and governance in the assigned Chapters, including both the overseeing and management of regional projects (where appropriate) and Chapter’s own initiatives in these areas.
- Identify, assess and develop potential new TI Chapters and partners.
- Take active part in media work and interviews relating to work at regional level as well as TI’s global launches, and contribute to TI publications.
- Represent TI in regional institutions and fora, networking to facilitate regional advocacy as well as highlight national level initiatives of Chapters.
- Work closely with Programme Coordinators and Regional Programme Managers to develop new programmes for joint work in the region in consultation with TI Chapters, including writing proposals and preparing budgets, identifying new donors, and supporting communications with existing donors (including the Australian and New Zealand Development Agencies).
Knowledge, experience and skills:
- 4/5+ years of relevant experience with an International NGO or International Organisation, or Multinational Organisation with a demonstrated in depth knowledge and experience in the region, working on issues of good governance, public sector reforms, social development, international development, or institutional capacity-building
- Postgraduate university degree or professional qualification in social science, public policy or administration, journalism, international law, economics, management, or another relevant field
- Demonstrated in-depth knowledge (political, socio-economical, cultural) and experience of the region
- Knowledge of organisational capacity development
- Knowledge of, or considerable interest in, the work of TI and the field of anti-corruption
- Proven management/coordination experience
- Excellent project development and fundraising skills
- Previous media and advocacy experience
- Fluency in English
- Pacific languages an advantage
- Excellent communication skills, particularly at distance communication
- Highly developed team work and intercultural communication skills
- Proven ability to take initiative and multi-task
- Willingness to travel
Other information about the post and the location:
Transparency International and its global network offer an inspiring work environment with real learning opportunities and support. Berlin is an attractive metropolitan city with relatively low cost of living.
Qualified candidates should submit, preferably via email, a cover letter and CV to:
Deadline for applications is extended to 30 March 2014.
Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted. Transparency International is an equal opportunity employer.
To learn more about Transparency International, visit our website at www.transparency.org