Research Manager, Measuring Corruption
Application Closing Date – 06 Apr 2014
Job Start Date – As soon as possible
Duration – Limited for 2 years with the possibility of extension
Pay Scale – Grade IV
Location – Berlin, Germany
Transparency International (TI) is the global civil society organisation leading the fight against corruption. Through more than 100 chapters worldwide and an international secretariat in Berlin, Germany, TI raises awareness of the damaging effects of corruption and works with partners in government, business and civil society to develop and implement effective measures to tackle it.
Transparency International Secretariat is looking for a Research Manager to lead its programme on measuring corruption, focusing on its global tools, assisting in the development of new tools and contributing to implementation of measurement tools by TI’s National Chapters. This is an exciting opportunity for a candidate that can demonstrate strong quantitative research expertise, coupled with excellent communication and advocacy skills and solid project management experience.
Main function: Coordinate TI programmes on measuring corruption and assist in the development of new tools and their implementation
Starting date: As soon as possible
Duration: limited for 2 years with the possibility of extension
Location: TI-Secretariat, Berlin, Germany
Department: Research, within the Advocacy & Research Group
Reporting lines: Research Director
Job grade: IV
- Oversee the design and implementation of the existing TI global measuring corruption tools programme (Corruption Perceptions Index, Bribe Payers Index, Global Corruption Barometer and others), including managing research consultants/companies, handling and analysing quantitative data, and assisting in the write-up and promotion of the results
- Assist in the development of new corruption measurement tools in support of TI strategic goals
- Promote, explain and support TI National Chapters, TI staff and external stakeholders on the use of TI’s research and its results
- Develop and enhance contacts with relevant institutions and specialists
- Oversee project budget(s) and perform the necessary administrative functions to ensure functioning of the programme
- Assist in raising the funds to ensure sustainable funding of current and new projects
Knowledge, experience and skills:
- An advanced university degree, or equivalent, in the social sciences
- Minimum 5-7 years of professional work experience
- Strong knowledge and experience of empirical research methodologies, including survey research tools and statistical methods
- Excellent writing, editing and communications skills, particularly in making research accessible to diverse audiences and for the purpose of anti-corruption advocacy interventions
- Solid experience in project management, including budgeting, plus exposure to donor financial reporting and M&E
- Ability to work in a team as well as independently
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Extensive knowledge of a major statistical software package, MS-Office and related applications.
- Familiarity with the current anti-corruption discourse
- Commitment to Transparency International’s values
Other information about the post and the location:
Transparency International and its global network offer an inspiring work environment with real learning opportunities and support. Berlin is an attractive metropolitan city with relatively low cost of living.
Qualified candidates should submit, preferably via email, a cover letter and CV to:
Deadline for applications is extended to 6 April 2014.
Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted. Transparency International is an equal opportunity employer.
To learn more about Transparency International, visit our website at www.transparency.org