**Note: The American Institute for Foreign Study let me know that they extended the deadline to May 2nd 2019. (update: April 25th 2019)**
The American Institute for Foreign Study (AIFS) was founded in 1964 and since then, over 1.6 million students have participated in our educational and cultural exchange programs. Over 6,000 American college students study abroad each year with the AIFS College Division— approximately 2,500 of these are on customized, faculty-led programs and approximately 4,000 study at local universities in Asia, Australia, Europe, South Africa and the Americas.
Job Summary/Main Purpose
The College Division of AIFS has a vacancy for an Assistant Resident Director in Berlin. Your job will be to assist US undergraduate college students and their professors as they live and learn on Study Abroad programs.
As an AIFS Assistant Resident Director you will assist the Resident Director setting up cultural activities and excursions both in Berlin and beyond, as well as helping the students with day to day living in their new home.
- To participate in a team of on-site student and academic services staff to deliver information services, a cultural program, counselling/advice and housing services to visiting US students.
- To be available to handle specific personal problems and concerns of individual students as they arise and to assist any medical issues including doctor’s appointments/hospitalization.
- To provide emergency cover for students with the aid of a duty cell phone as part of a team.
- Under the supervision of the Berlin Resident Director, assist in the planning of upcoming AIFS program – booking guides, coaches, organizing fieldtrips, housing, classrooms and other program components as required.
- Assisting in the preparation of social functions and in general forward planning for programs.
- To assist in welcoming, and meeting with, US campus administrators during site visits.
- Manage and promote social media content/awareness.
- Occasional evening duties (cultural events, welcome receptions, extended office hours). This will require working extended hours via a flexi-time arrangement.
- To act as tour manager on occasional program tours in Europe.
- To prepare a monthly newsletter giving program updates, reminders and topical local information.
- Any other duties as required.
- To achieve at least 90% excellent and good combined in all categories on student evaluation forms.
- To complete assigned tasks within the allotted timeframes.
- Good interpersonal skills and a confident and helpful manner to relate to American faculty and students in a customer service role.
- A degree or equivalent.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Berlin, it’s cultural and historical significance.
- Strong communication and writing skills in both English and German.
- Numeracy and ability to maintain records of expenditure.
- Pride in work; flexibility; ability to work as part of a team, to be able to prioritise and meet deadlines.
- Good organisational and administrative skills.
- Experience of working in the study abroad field.
Salary and Benefits
Candidates should note that this is not a 9-5 position; because of the nature of the position the ability to work flexibly hours – including weekends – on occasion, are essential requirements.
- A salary based on TV-L 9 for part-time (20 hours) on a flexible schedule.
- 26 days paid holiday a year plus German national and local holidays.
- Berlin AB public transport ticket.
- Centrally located office (Berlin-Mitte)
We are currently recruiting for one fixed term contract, as follows:
June 1st, 2019 – February 29, 2020 (with a possibility to extend).
A short-term position for June and July is also available.
We welcome applications from people of all cultures, backgrounds, and orientations.
How to Apply
Please send a current CV and covering letter detailing why you are suitable for the role to firstname.lastname@example.org. The application deadline is Monday, May 2nd 2019, interviews will be held first week of May or earlier, please apply at your earliest convenience.
not available online (yet)
Gesines Jobtipps are handpicked and free of charge for job seekers and employers. And I make a living off them – via voluntary payments.
Please support me with an amount of your choice (in German). Thanks!