Handicap International e.V. is looking for a
Senior Development Officer (m/w/d)
Open-ended and full-time contract, to begin immediately, based in Berlin
Handicap International Germany is an independent non-profit organisation with offices in Munich and Berlin. We provide worldwide support to people with disabilities and other vulnerable or disadvantaged groups. We engage in situations of poverty and social exclusion, conflicts and disasters. The values of humanity and inclusion are the cornerstones of our work. We are combating human rights violations, the use of landmines and cluster bombs, as well as the bombing of civilians. Handicap International Germany is a member of the international Humanity & Inclusion federation (HI), which is responsible for implementing the international programme work in ca. 60 countries. HI is one of the six founding members of the International Campaign to Ban Landmines (ICBL), which received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1997.
To accelerate our growth in Relationship Marketing and Major Donor Fundraising, we are looking for the earliest possible date for a Senior Development Officer to join our Berlin team. The main focus of this position is to build new partnerships with companies (CSR) and private foundations as well as to acquire new Individual Major Donors (High-Net-Worth Individuals – HNWIs) and testators for HI within the framework of our global and national strategy.
The position is based in Berlin and works in close coordination with our existing Munich-based Senior Development Officer and the Fundraising and Communication Division of the Humanity & Inclusion federation in Lyon. The position reports to the Director of Handicap International e.V. in Berlin.
- To research, prospect and develop funders or investors in the field of CSR / company foundations or HNWIs which match the strategy of HI
- To represent HI Germany at CSR events, fundraising congresses and other events with our current or future cooperation partners to cultivate and expand the network
- To organize outreach events – sometimes in cooperation with partners – with a focus on CSR partnerships, private foundations, HNWIs or inheritance, and visit potential major donors or testators
- To write concept notes, funding proposals, grant applications and reports to our cooperation partners in the field of CSR, private foundations or HNWIs and manage the related back office work, including the translation and adaptation of federal reports as well as correspondence to individual donors and testators
- To collaborate closely with our institutional fundraising department for the management of earmarked donations, with our direct marketing department for the upgrading of individual donors, with our communication department for the preparation of events and brochures, with our finance department for tax issues, audits, financial reports, and to actively contribute to the senior management team of Handicap International e.V.
- To collaborate closely with the Fundraising Division of the Humanity & Inclusion federation headquarters in Lyon and to regularly exchange with the Development Officers of the other seven national HI associations for mutual support and learning and the strategic development of the organisation.
- Master’s Degree in Marketing/Business Administration/Communications or another relevant field for the position
- At least ten years of work experience in a comparable position in the non-profit sector, with a proven track-record in the initiation and cultivation of CSR partnerships, the acquisition of funding from company foundations, HNWIs and testators
- A deep understanding of the manifold NGO-CSR partnership models that exist across the sector and a clear vision of how Handicap International can differentiate itself to create sector-leading partnerships
- Proven experience in approaching company representatives up to the highest level, and a persuasive way of communication
- Ability to work independently and strategically in a structured and goal-oriented fashion; high level of initiative and resilience, as well as enjoyment of dynamic and intercultural work environments; at the same time a good team player
- Excellent German a must; fluent business English; French language skills desirable
- Sound knowledge of MS Office and CRM software (e.g. raise-it, Salesforce)
- Willingness and ability to keep appointments also outside normal office hours and to travel (up to 50 %) especially in Northern, Central and Eastern Germany, at times to HQ in Lyon and internationally for project visits, including in crisis countries
- Knowledge in development cooperation and humanitarian assistance an asset
- High identification with the values, mission and strategy of Handicap International / Humanity & Inclusion.
What we offer:
- The possibility to contribute to improve the lives of people with disability and of other vulnerable groups in developing and crises-affected countries
- A fantastic opportunity to work for a well-respected international NGO
- Be part of a highly motivated team with flat hierarchies
- Flexible and family-friendly working hours, including home office
- A permanent full-time job with 30 days leave per year
- A competitive salary based on the German civil service pay scale (TVÖD) in accordance with your experience.
You can find out more about us and our work at www.handicap-international.de.
If you would like to contribute your extensive experience and marketing skills to Handicap International e.V. and your profile fits this position, we look forward to receiving your job application.
Please send your complete application in English language by email, summarised in one PDF file max 5 MB (including motivation letter stating your earliest possible starting date and your yearly salary expectations, CV, relevant certificates and references) until 30 October 2019 to email@example.com.
We reserve the right to start interviewing candidates before the application deadline.
Gesines Jobtipps are handpicked and free of charge for job seekers and employers. And I make a living off them – via voluntary payments.
Please support me with an amount of your choice (in German). Thanks!