Open to Internal and External Candidates
SPECIAL VACANCY NOTICE
Position Title : Media and Communications Assistant
Duty Station : Berlin, Germany
Reference Code : SVN-DE1-2019-18
Classification : General Service Staff, Grade G4
Type of Appointment : Special-Short -Term Contract until 31.12.2019 (with possibility of extension)
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 16 July 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and the direct supervision of the Media and Communications Coordinator of IOM Germany, the Media and Communications Assistant will be responsible for the following activities.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Assists the Media and Communications Coordinator of IOM Germany in carrying out all activities related to public relations and communications
- Assists in the development and maintenance of the IOM Germany website
- Assists in managing IOM Germany’s social media channels and ensures the posted information is up-to-date
- Drafts information and outreach material for external communications (to beneficiaries as well as the media and the general public) and for internal communications (e.g. newsletters) in coordination with project managers where necessary
- Supports the development and distribution of organizational and project-related publications, reports, and materials to relevant stakeholders
- Drafts and prepares media briefings and press releases and assists in the elaboration and coordination of official lines relevant to the German context; assists in representing IOM to German media e.g. in background talks, interviews, etc.
- Supports the Media and Communications Coordinator of IOM Germany in maintaining effective working relationships with media representatives and press departments of donors, counterparts and partners including public and private organizations, NGOs
- Performs general press monitoring regarding references to IOM, to be visualized and shared internally; assists in monitoring German media regarding relevant developments and trends in the field of migration and in preparing regular overviews to be visualized and shared internally
- Performs any other duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor and/or CoM.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in Political or Social Sciences, Public Administration, International Relations, Information/Communication Sciences or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with two years of relevant professional experience, preferably in similar roles
- Completed High School degree from an accredited academic institution, with 4 years of relevant professional experience, preferably in similar roles.
- Strong communication skills including experience related to media and communication
- Working experience in the field of media and communications
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint as well as Outlook is required
- Experience in standard CMS, as well as graphic design and/or video editing programmes is an advantage
- Experience in the professional usage of social media
Excellent knowledge of spoken and written German and English. Knowledge of other official IOM language is an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
This post is subject to local recruitment. Only persons holding a valid residence/work permit for Germany or fulfilling the criteria for an EU blue card will be eligible for consideration.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application including a cover letter not exceeding more than one page, CV and relevant certificates and references by email to HRDGermany@iom.int. Due to the volume of applications received, IOM Germany Human Resources will not be able to respond to all inquiries about the application status and will only contact shortlisted candidates.
From 02 July 2019 to 16 July 2019
International Organization for Migration / Germany
Gesines Jobtipps are handpicked and free of charge for job seekers and employers. And I make a living off them – via voluntary payments.
Please support me with an amount of your choice (in German). Thanks!