Regional Outreach Coordinator, Eastern Europe/Central Asia (Limited Term)
Advocacy · Berlin, Berlin
About Access Now
Access Now is a growing international human rights organization dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world, working on issues of privacy, security, freedom of expression, and transparency. Our policy, advocacy, technology, grants, and operations teams have staff presences in Europe; Latin America; North, East, and West Africa; North America; and South and Southeast Asia to provide global support to our mission.
About the role
As a Regional Outreach Coordinator for Eastern Europe & Central Asia, your primary responsibility will be to identify and engage with key partners in the fight to defend digital rights, such as civil society organizations, activists, journalists, public interest technologists, academics, and private sector stakeholders. You will be tasked with deepening and strengthening Access Now’s relationship with regional partners, and identifying opportunities for Access Now’s various teams to support, amplify, and connect grassroots initiatives. You will also have the opportunity to lead advocacy campaigns in the region, and to help develop Access Now’s public engagement strategy on priority digital rights issues.
While this is a regional role, it will pay particular attention to the evolving situation in Belarus. The outreach coordinator is likely to engage on the full range of issues Access Now covers, with core areas of focus including internet shutdowns, media freedom, surveillance and censorship technologies, and online attacks targeting women and LGBTQ individuals.
You’re an advocate and movement builder, and you’re able to lead and grow campaigns to ensure maximum impact. You have an instinctive knack for identifying and developing the strategies and partnerships needed to protect the internet and those who use it, and the know-how to leverage global resources to meet local needs. You are also a creative and empathetic communicator who knows how to speak directly to and with the people whose rights are most at risk. You’re self-motivated, deeply invested in Access Now’s mission, and excited about collaborating with a diverse global team.
What you will do
- Conduct an in-depth stakeholder mapping (civil society, private sector, government, opposition, media, international actors, etc.) for priority countries throughout the region.
- Build strategic partnerships between Access Now and key stakeholders, with a focus on capacity building and resilience.
- Support expansion of the #KeepItOn network throughout the region.
- Coordinate activities and programming supporting regional partners for RightsCon 2021 and 2022.
- Identify opportunities for impact and develop campaign strategies to capture them, managing and coordinating actions on human rights concerns for individuals and communities in Eastern Europe and Central Asia.
- Project manage the commission, publication, and distribution of a series of reports shedding light on the digital rights challenges in specific countries (such as Belarus) and on the proliferation of surveillance and censorship technologies in the region.
- Produce and/or localize engaging and dynamic content for a range of audiences, including articles, op-eds, speeches, campaign materials, press releases, blog posts, social media, and multimedia content.
- Represent Access Now and its regional work at meetings and events, through interactions with the press, and in consultations with UN bodies and other important venues.
- Collaborate with other team members and partner organizations to keep track of digital rights developments in the region as they unfold and prepare our timely response, liaising with our other relevant Policy, Helpline, or Grants teams.
What skills and mindset you should have
- Passion for our mission, with understanding of the unique challenges at-risk and marginalized communities are confronting in Eastern Europe and Central Asia, as well as familiarity with developments in technology and its impact on human rights in the region
- Knowledge of the human rights and geopolitical environment, as well as nuances of culture and communication styles, in countries throughout Eastern Europe and Central Asia
- Experience in advocacy, journalism, communications, campaigning, or organizing, and the proven ability to apply this capacity towards complex and concurrent goals.
- Excellent persuasive writing and speaking skills, and the ability to distill complex issues into simple, compelling messages
- Excellent organizational and project management skills, and the ability to effectively move work forward both independently and with a team
- Proven capacity to design solution sets that achieve meaningful change in fluid and rapidly changing contexts
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, respond quickly to breaking news items, and effectively balance competing priorities
- Fluency in Russian and English, with a strong preference for working proficiency in Belarusian as well
It is helpful to have
- Experience with organizing and coalition-building, especially among human rights NGOs
- A track record of success in using digital platforms to reach specific audiences
- Basic knowledge in digital security best practices, or a comfort with learning new technologies and technical concepts
- Past experience with a CRM system or management of a contact database
- Knowledge of the U.N. system and its various human rights monitoring bodies
- Experience working with a distributed team, and effective project management and internal communication in that context
- Working proficiency in another language relevant for the region
Time Commitment and Location
This is a full-time, term-limited position beginning as soon as possible, and ending on June 30, 2022. Preference is for applications from individuals who are able to work from our Berlin office space once it reopens. We will also consider applications from elsewhere in the region; the successful candidate can be based out of any of our locations in Berlin, Brussels, New York City, San José (CR), Tunis, or Washington, DC, and must possess the right to work in the location in which they will be based. We will be unable to sponsor visas or relocations for this role.
Access Now offers competitive compensation and benefits packages that align with our office localities. Team members also benefit from a strong global culture aligned around:
- Work-life balance...including a generous paid time-off program
- Extensive workplace flexibility
- Connection to a diverse, global team of passionate, principled professionals
- Organizational resilience and support for all team members
How to Apply
Please submit the following documents through the APPLY FOR THIS JOB link:
- Résumé/CV (removing all personally identifying information, including photo, gender, age, marital status, address, etc)
- Cover letter outlining your suitability for this HR role
Our hiring teams review applications submitted through our Career Openings page; email submissions are not accepted. In order for us to communicate with you on the status of your application, please be sure to add apps.bamboohr.com to your contacts list, and check spam or junk folders so that you do not miss updates from us.
We are a global human rights organization committed to inclusivity and equity, and seek the most talented team members who bring their true selves, with diverse backgrounds, cultures, perspectives, and experiences. As an equal opportunity employer, we value and encourage diversity and consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status. Our commitment applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.
**Note: There is an application form available directly at https://accessnow.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=54**
Gesines Jobtipps are handpicked and free of charge for job seekers and employers. And I make a living off them – via voluntary payments.
Please support me with an amount of your choice (in German). Thanks!