Bard College Berlin, A Liberal Arts University invites applications for a
Civic Engagement Officer and Socrates Program Assistant (40 hours/week)
This full-time position will support Bard College Berlin’s Civic Engagement Office in promoting positive social change. One of the central tasks of the position, which reports to the Civic Engagement Manager, is the coordination of civic engagement programming and student engagement on and off the Bard College Berlin campus. Another focus will be providing administrative assistance for the Berlin activities of the Socrates Program. The position includes communication and social media responsibilities to promote civic engagement opportunities, recruit program participants and represent the Civic Engagement and Socrates Programs to a wider audience. Special emphasis will be placed on maintaining and building community partnerships and reaching out to Berlin-based community participants and organizations.
The Office of Civic Engagement aims to promote commitment to active citizenship and contribute to an engaged university. The team achieves this by supporting student involvement with public life outside the classroom, student leadership and activism. The office works towards integration of the university with the local communities and aims to share resources and support access to higher education. The Socrates Program is a new educational outreach initiative offering university-level German and English-language courses in the humanities and social sciences to underserved adult communities in Berlin. To work efficiently and sustainably on campus and in local and global communities, the Office of Civic Engagement collaborates with other campus departments, with the Bard Network/ Open Society University Network partners and with a variety of organizations in Berlin. The Socrates Program will be offered at Bard College Berlin, Central European University Budapest and Central European University Vienna.
- Assist with Civic Engagement programming for Bard College Berlin students: organization and support of events, talks, workshops; on campus, in Berlin and digital
- Coordination of volunteer work opportunities for Bard College Berlin students: engage students in Berlin communities through volunteering, find and offer volunteering according to student interests, support volunteers
- Assist with Civic Engagement student leadership programming: advise students on starting and developing Civic Engagement Programs, assist with workshops on Program development
- Assist with Civic Engagement communication: maintain communication with students, faculty, staff and community partners through email, media, newsletters, or on campus; design social media communication
- Community outreach: maintain and expand connections between the College and local Berlin communities, work with community partners within student and department Programs
- Office work, logistical support for department’s Programs and other tasks as assigned
- Assist with Socrates program outreach and communication: publicity, social media, outreach to community and local organizations
- Assist with recruitment of participants for Socrates courses: applications, student data management
- Assist with course-related organization: attendance, class materials, guest lectures
- Assist with program support services: social events, childcare, tutoring meetings
- General organization of program: logistical support for events, meetings, annual conference; documentation management; administrative/office tasks
- Fluency in German and English (additional languages a plus)
- BA degree and practical experience in the following areas: community/student/youth organizing; facilitation of civic and community engagement activities; work with community or service organizations
- Experience in administration work and office software
- Computer literacy, experience using various media platforms and social media
- Excellent communication and writing skills, ability to communicate effectively with diverse audiences through various mediums (including e-mail, virtual calls, in-person meetings)
- Excellent organization skills, experience coordinating logistics of (virtual) events and programs
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Active interest in working with international students and diverse groups of program participants
- Availability to attend student events and classes scheduled in evenings or on weekends occasionally
- Familiarity with and commitment to issues of sustainability, community and youth work, education, empowerment of underserved populations, social justice
- Familiarity with local communities and service organizations in Berlin is a plus
- Commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
To apply, please send your CV, a cover letter, and contact of 2 references to Xenia Muth <firstname.lastname@example.org> with “Civic Engagement Officer and Socrates Program Assistant” in the subject line (email with pdf-attachments only).
Applications will be considered as they are received and continue until the job is filled. Please direct your questions to email@example.com.
Bard College Berlin is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate against any employee or job applicant because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability, or age.
Gesines Jobtipps are handpicked and free of charge for job seekers and employers. And I make a living off them – via voluntary payments.
Please support me with an amount of your choice (in German). Thanks!