Founded in 1963, Cultural Vistas is a nonprofit exchange organization promoting global understanding and collaboration among individuals and institutions. We develop international professional experiences that create more informed, skilled, and engaged citizens. Our programs empower people to drive positive change in themselves, their organizations, and society.
The Assistant Director, European Office will manage the operations of existing exchange programs in Cultural Vistas’ European Office, including Internship Placement programs, the Cultural Vistas Fellowship, the Robert Bosch Foundation Fellowship, STEM LAUNCH, Beyond Washington, the Alfa Fellowship Program, Special Visitor Programs, the Journalism in the Era of Disinformation (JED) fellowship, Parlamentarisches Patenschafts-Programm für junge Berufstätige (PPP/CBYX) and others.
Under supervision and guidance from the Senior Director, this individual will be responsible for managing existing programs and staff, maintaining program budgets and financial reconciliations, writing grant applications, writing and submitting grant reports, and pursuing new program and funding opportunities for exchange programs in Europe. This individual will assist the Senior Director with the identification of new programming possibilities, expanding current business, creating new stakeholder relationships, marketing and communications, and enhancement of current services for participants and alumni.
The Berlin office of Cultural Vistas seeks an
Assistant Director, European Office (m/w/d)
to begin in April 2020.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Management of Programs to Europe:
- Support Cultural Vistas’ existing international exchange programs to Europe and ensure that all programs are optimized and aligned with organizational goals and values
- Maintain overview of all programs and ensure operational success. When necessary, play an active role in facilitating internship placements, finding host families or other accommodations, assist in registrations and other bureaucratic procedures in Germany, troubleshoot stakeholder issues, etc.
- Oversee and evaluate existing CRM processes for improvements (Salesforce)
- Oversee collaboration with Agentur für Arbeit and ensure continued recognition of Cultural Vistas by this agency as an international exchange organization
- Conduct orientation seminars and info sessions in collaboration with Program Manager
- Support, advise, monitor, and help participants throughout their program. Organize cultural programs and participant events.
Program Development and Strategic Planning:
- Lead the development of new programs and partnerships in Europe, with guidance from the Senior Director
- Identify, select and manage the submission and monitoring of new grant proposals in Europe. Submit all necessary grant reports to existing funders (in German and English).
- Research and develop corporate, government, foundation and university partnerships in Germany and other European countries for programs to the U.S. and other countries
- In conjunction with the Senior Director, identify new programmatic options, expansion of current programs, and enhancement of current services.
Management of Programs to U.S.:
- Support Cultural Vistas’ existing international exchange programs to the U.S. and ensure that all programs are optimized and aligned with organizational goals and values
- Proactive outreach to universities, companies, and other stakeholders to promote internship placement programs and the J-1 Exchange Visitor program in the German and European markets
- Research new potential partners and multipliers and pursue new business opportunities with an entrepreneurial spirit. Attend relevant events and hold info sessions for the purpose of new partner/customer acquisition.
- Represent Cultural Vistas’ programs at universities, fairs, conferences in Germany and Europe, as business needs require
- Supervise planning and coordination of event planning and logistics, including internship and study-abroad fairs, ad placements, trade shows, seminars, receptions, and other promotional events
- Enhance the presence and visibility of Cultural Vistas in Europe
- Oversee and plan Cultural Vistas Europe’s annual participant and alumni event(s), together with the Senior Events Officer (NY)
- Oversee the development, management and coordination of program marketing, marketing research and analysis, lead generation, pricing, and promotional campaign execution
- Explore fundraising initiatives
- Collaborate and coordinate marketing initiatives with the Director of Communications (DC)
Office & Policy Administration:
- Management, tracking, and coordination of program budgets
- Oversee fiscal reporting activities for the European Office including: organizational revenue/expense and balance sheet reports, financial reports to funding agencies, development and monitoring of organizational and contract/grant budgets, and annual tax returns
- Write high-quality narrative reports (in German and English) to funding agencies and ensure they are delivered in a timely manner
- Oversee accounts payable and ensure that partners, customers, and vendors are invoiced and paid in a timely manner
- Develop and maintain fiscal policies and systems of internal controls to safeguard financial assets of the organization and oversee federal awards and programs
- Assume responsibility for regulatory compliance for all programs
- Develop and implement best business practices in international exchange
- Supervise, manage, and delegate (where appropriate) tasks to up to five staff members, including program and accounting personnel
Leadership and Professional Development:
- Manage staff performance (formally and informally) in the following:
- Conflict resolution (proactively addressing issues between parties)
- Mentorship (providing examples of best practices in various performance areas)
- Consistency (ensuring the performance of each staff member is reviewed in a consistent manner)
- Support the ongoing professional development of staff; maintain understanding of professional development needs and interests; proactively seek out opportunities to address needs
Complete additional tasks, according to changing business needs.
REQUIRED SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Demonstrated success in project management, program planning, grants management, project design and implementation, budget process and evaluation, and contract negotiation
- Previous experience working in a German non-profit organization (gGmbH) is a plus
- Demonstrated ability to identify new program opportunities, write grant/funding proposals, and secure funding for new initiatives
- Previous experience with new customer acquisition
- Languages: Complete fluency in written and spoken German (verhandlungssichere Deutschkenntnisse); advanced proficiency in written and spoken English; proficiency in additional European languages a plus
- Excellent communication skills, with a demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with and influence both internal and external customers, as well as key stakeholders
- Thorough understanding of German and U.S. business norms and the ability to communicate comfortably and with cultural sensitivity in both countries
- Previous experience in reviewing applications and interviewing candidates for international exchange programs are preferred
- Ability to thrive in a rapidly changing business environment; entrepreneurial spirit
- Proven track record of effectively managing multiple processes, projects, and staff simultaneously. Ability to prioritize workload according to urgency and immediate business needs.
- Demonstrated ability to articulate positively, clearly, and professionally to diverse audiences. Experience designing and holding presentations to diverse audiences.
- Professional demeanor
- Demonstrated experience in management of program finances, including projecting & reporting statistics, admin & program revenue, and expenses. Comparing actual to budget; managing program activities and making division/departmental decisions based on budgetary and regulatory restrictions.
- Commitment to creating sustainable, long term results by finding new and more efficient ways of operating. Anticipating business needs by foreseeing future trends in the market.
- Ability to translate ambiguity and complexity into a simple and clear direction
- Demonstrated ability to apply inventiveness, flexibility, and agility in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment
- Commitment to continuous quality and efficiency improvement and a team-oriented, collaborative model
- Ability to alternate between high-level thinking and to implement programming tasks oneself
- Ability to act as a leader in a pioneering company by creating a positive work environment that allows staff to realize their potential and emphasize accountability for self and others
- A sense of urgency and passion about delivering outstanding results
REQUIRED COMPUTER/SOFTWARE EXPERIENCE
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Acrobat, and database management
- Previous experience with Salesforce or other CRM strongly preferred
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of five (5) years in international exchange program management, including grant management and budget oversight experience
- B.A. or M.A. in Business Administration, Non-Profit Management, International Studies, Public Administration, or a related field strongly preferred
- Previous experience living, studying, or working abroad and an understanding of the needs of international exchange participants
ADDITIONAL DEMANDS OF THE POSITION
- Must possess legal residence status and valid work authorization in Germany (Aufenthaltstitel und Arbeitserlaubnis für eine Beschäftigung in der Bundesrepublik Deutschland)
- Domestic and international travel may be required. Work on weekends, holidays, and evenings may be occasionally required.
- This is a fulltime position (38.5 hours per week), located in Berlin, Germany
HOW TO APPLY
Interested in joining our dynamic and growing team?
Submit a Lebenslauf and a one-page cover letter (both in German), outlining your interest in the position, as an attachment via email to email@example.com. Please include your earliest possible start date and your salary expectations.
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled. We ask that you please refrain from inquiring about the status of your application until you have heard from us.
We look forward to receiving your application!
Gesines Jobtipps are handpicked and free of charge for job seekers and employers. And I make a living off them – via voluntary payments.
Please support me with an amount of your choice (in German). Thanks!