- European Climate Foundation
- Berlin Germany
- Strategic Communications
About the European Climate Foundation
The European Climate Foundation (ECF) was founded in 2008 as a major philanthropic initiative to help tackle climate change by fostering the development of a low-carbon society at the national, European and global level.
We support over 350 partner organisations to carry out activities that contribute to the public debate on climate action, drive urgent and ambitious policy in support of the objectives of the Paris Agreement and help deliver a socially responsible transition to a net-zero emissions economy and sustainable society in Europe and around the world.
The ECF brings together diverse perspectives and backgrounds to find the best innovative solutions to tackle climate change. We are focusing on engaging and hiring great people from a wide diversity of backgrounds to strengthen the cause. If you share our values of respect, innovation, and collaboration, join us.
About the role
ECF is currently accepting applications for an experienced communications specialist to work alongside the ECF communications team in a dynamic global network of strategic communications professionals in the field of climate and energy.
The role offers a unique opportunity for an individual with an established interest in German politics and climate issues to work with a talented team and play an active role in helping speed up the low carbon transition in Germany as well as across Europe and on a global level.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced and creative communications professional with the ambition to make a difference and help to avoid the worst impacts of global climate change.
This role would suit someone with a background in communications, campaigning, journalism or public affairs. If you think this sounds like you, please apply!
In close cooperation with the Germany team, the Senior Associate, Strategic Communications, Germany, will be responsible for:
- Developing communications strategies and building narratives across diverse climate-related issues, striving to become a thought leader for the community
- Designing and implementing innovative strategic communications interventions which aim to boost national climate action as well as Germany’s global climate leadership across media spheres in Germany
- Shaping and amplifying newsworthy media stories from across the global network in line with the Germany team’s communications objectives; monitoring impact and outcomes
- Developing and maintaining trusted relationships with key journalists and editors across mainstream and specialist media in Germany
- Delivering strategic advice, communications and outreach support to partners
- Ensuring communications materials such as press releases, op-eds and social media content are of the highest quality
- Closely following the political and media debates in Germany to identify opportunities for engagement and acting as a source for intelligence for colleagues and partners around the world
The Senior Associate will report to the German desk lead of the network.
Experience and competencies
- 5+ years of professional experience in journalism, campaigning or communications, ideally with a track record of impactful media relations in Germany
- Ability to turn complex topics into compelling media stories
- Creativity, resourcefulness and vision with view to strategic communications interventions
- A good understanding of political dynamics and debates is essential, specific knowledge in climate, the ecological transition or specific sectors (e. g. energy, transport, agriculture, climate science, climate governance) is a plus
- Outstanding German language skills, with proven ability to produce engaging and impactful communications materials
- Outstanding English language skills, international experience is a plus
- Strong diplomatic and networking skills that enable effective collaboration with a diverse group of partners
- High level of self-motivation, independence and can-do mentality
- Team player with the disposition to work generously with colleagues in a high-trust and values based global community of peers
- Versatility and agility to flourish in a fast-paced and multifaceted work environment and work across time zones based on phone/video conferencing, Slack, email, etc.
- A genuine interest in the mission and values of the organisation and a commitment to an inclusive and empowering approach to facing climate change
What we offer
- The unique opportunity to work as part of a highly dynamic group of individuals who combine their passion to make a difference with a rigorous and results-oriented approach to work;
- A flexible work environment and a space to develop and challenge yourself;
- A full-time position with an employment contract for 12 months, with a possible renewal after one year.
Shared office space is available, with home working requirements in line with current government recommendations.
Some international travel will be required after the restrictions are lifted.
We will only consider applicants who have the right to work in Germany.
As soon as possible
How to apply
Please upload below in English:
- Your CV
- Short cover letter explaining why you would be suited to the position
Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
All applications will be treated confidentially. We will store your information in our internal database unless you specifically request otherwise.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion in our organisation. We strongly encourage candidates from historically disadvantaged or marginalised groups to apply.
**Note: There is an application form on the website.**
Gesines Jobtipps are handpicked and free of charge for job seekers and employers. And I make a living off them – via voluntary payments.
Please support me with an amount of your choice (in German). Thanks!