Associate consultant, Firetail Limited
Full time, competitive salary, based in Berlin (Germany)
1. Job Description
Firetail is growing. We are looking for an Associate Consultant to join our international consulting team in Berlin.
This is an exciting time for our team: with our main office located in London, we have recently established a branch office in Berlin. Joining us at this important time, you will contribute to the development of our consulting proposition and network in Germany, engage potential clients and grow together with our young team.
Aside from taking on business development and thought leadership responsibilities, you will deliver high quality consulting services to help our clients make a greater social impact. Our clients are ambitious, purpose-driven organisations. They include some of the world’s most successful foundations, NGOs, international organisations and research charities.
You will work across our teams in Berlin and London to support our clients in Germany, the United Kingdom and globally. You will help them to better understand themselves and the landscapes they work in. This will include developing hypotheses, leading detailed analysis and designing recommendations to help them to make smart choices.
- Business development: contributing to our proposition development and thought leadership in Germany, engaging with potential client organisations to understand their needs and supporting on developing winning proposals
- Problem solving and analysis: identifying client issues, creating hypotheses and delivering analysis that translates data into meaningful insights
- Strategic research: gathering, synthesising and presenting information about clients’ sectors or customers/supporters, analysing qualitative and quantitative data, conducting stakeholder interviews and surveys
- Client engagement: client communications, support with managing client expectations and presenting recommendations
- Developing high quality outputs: development of well-structured written arguments and recommendations to address our clients’ needs
- Project management: scheduling and tracking project activities, timescales and deliverables of multiple projects against deadlines.
- Entrepreneurial mind-set
- Self-starter; eagerness to build things from the ground
- Research skills, experience in conducting quantitative and qualitative analysis
- (Near-) native proficiency in written and spoken German, as well as excellent written and spoken English skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Knowledge of the German social purpose landscape and its key actors (a personal network among impact organisations in Germany is a plus)
- Ability to work across different teams in an international environment, as well as autonomously
- Ability to prioritise and juggle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Undergraduate or graduate degree from a top tier university
- Minimum of 1- 2 years’ experience in a consulting or other relevant role
We welcome applications from candidates with commercial, public or non-profit sector experience. Above all, we are looking for someone who is committed to positive social change.
Firetail is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage all applicants regardless of gender, nationality, ethnic or social origin, religion, ability, age, sexual orientation or identity. We value the difference inclusivity and diversity makes.
2. About Firetail
Firetail is a strategy consultancy that works around the world to help organisations achieve social progress. In addition to our main office in London, we have recently established an office in Berlin. This is an exciting time for our team as we develop our proposition and network in Germany.
We work with mission-driven organisations that want to contribute to a better society for everyone. Our clients pursue social progress on issues as diverse as the future of science, equalities, health, international development and migration.
Clients engage Firetail when they need ‘a fresh perspective’, a ‘new look at an issue’ and a partnership that is ‘confidence-building’. These are our clients’ words. Firetail gives organisations the ideas, insights, confidence and clarity they need to develop strategies that make a difference to their causes and their communities. We believe in bold, independent thinking. We never just turn the handle because that will never transform society.
Our small and interdisciplinary team comes from different backgrounds, but we share common traits. We are practical optimists, working openly and with purpose towards social progress. We believe in the power of ideas, grounded in evidence and insights, to help transform the world around us. We are proactive and resourceful, and enjoy bringing ideas to life, coming up with solutions, and getting things done.
Our work falls into four categories:
- Strategy: Clients benefit from our global, cross-sector experience of providing strategic support to the world’s largest NGOs, foundations and research charities, social enterprises and small, pre-launch campaigns and movements. Our expertise covers the full spectrum of strategic engagements including full organisational reviews, departmental strategy support, culture & values, scenario planning and landscape reviews.
- Growth: Organisations benefit from our unique breadth of experience in helping to generate income for social progress. Areas of expertise include partnerships, proposition development, market research, customer and supporter insight and business modelling.
- Engagement: Organisations benefit from our broad-ranging experience running complex stakeholder engagement programmes to better understand their audiences. Areas of expertise include stakeholder research and public engagement.
- Learning: Clients benefit from our cross-sector experience in developing and delivering monitoring, evaluation and learning reviews and impact frameworks. We conduct organisational, programme and campaign evaluations for organisations looking to measure the impact of their work.
3. Working at Firetail
- Consulting at Firetail gives you the opportunity to make a positive contribution towards social progress. You will be working on exciting and challenging projects for ambitious organisations.
- Joining our newly established Berlin office, you will have the opportunity to take an active part in shaping our proposition for the German market, establishing our network and growing together with our young team.
- You will develop your consulting skills, working with various members of the team, and learning from our different fields of expertise. We value each member of the team for their unique skills set.
- You will work closely with our team member in Berlin, as well as engage with our colleagues in London. While we currently work from home in light of COVID-19 restrictions, our Berlin team is usually based at the Impact Hub, a centrally located co-working space and community of social entrepreneurs.
- We are committed to supporting professional development. We are a small team, so you will have the opportunity to take on lots of different responsibilities. You will have a personalised career development plan to facilitate your professional growth.
- Candidates will be offered a starting salary appropriate to their qualifications and experience within a set range.
4. How to apply
To apply, please send your CV as well as your answers to the three questions below in a separate document of max. three pages by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, 30th April 2021.
- Why do you want to be an Associate Consultant at Firetail Germany?
- What skills and experience would you bring to the Associate Consultant role?
- Firetail regularly works with foundations. How do you think charitable foundations in Germany can contribute to social progress around the world? What challenges might they face in pursuing that goal? Please provide your answer to this question in German.
5. Further information:
An offer of employment will be subject to the receipt of satisfactory references. We require two references, one of which must be from your present or most recent employer. Unless your permission is granted, your present employer will not be approached until after an offer of employment has been made.
Applicants must have the right to live and work in Germany.
The first three months of your employment will be counted as a probationary period. During this time Firetail Limited will make an assessment of your suitability for acceptance to a full fixed term position.
Gesines Jobtipps are handpicked and free of charge for job seekers and employers. And I make a living off them – via voluntary payments.
Please support me with an amount of your choice (in German). Thanks!