Assignment period: 03/01/2020 – 02/29/2024
Field: Peace, Security and Emergency
Type of employment: full- or part-time
Application deadline: 01/29/2020
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a federal German enterprise and supports the German Government to achieve its policy objectives in international cooperation and sustainable development. The department International Services is an integral part of GIZ and provides its services to international clients such as the European Union (EU), bi- and multilateral organisations, national governments as well as private sector companies.
“Security Cooperation in and with Asia” is a project within the framework of the EU Partnership Instrument to support tailor-made security cooperation in and with India, Indonesia, Japan, the Republic of Korea and Vietnam, co-financed by the EU and the German Federal Foreign Office and to be implemented by GIZ International Services in co-operation with Expertise France (EF).
The overall objective of the project is to enhance the EU’s security and defence cooperation in and with Asia. Specifically, deeper and more operational security dialogues with partner countries shall be supported; greater convergence between the policies and practices of the EU and the partner countries, including related gender equality policies and links to National Action Plans on UNSCR 1325 on women, peace and security, shall be promoted; and international awareness and acknowledgement of the EU as a security provider shall be increased.
The action shall help to establish close and sustainable cooperation links with relevant actors in five Asian countries (India, Vietnam, Indonesia, Republic of Korea, Japan) in four thematic pillars: (1) countering terrorism/preventing violent extremism (CT/PVE), (2) cyber security, (3) maritime security and (4) crisis management (CSDP/peacekeeping operations), with GIZ being in charge of the thematic pillars (1) and (4).
- Drafting of work plans for the thematic pillar (4) crisis management (Common Security and Defence Policy, CSDP/peacekeeping operations)
- Coordinating and organizing activities implemented under the thematic pillar (e.g. workshops, conferences, training courses etc.); ensuring alignment with activities being implemented by EF
- Coordinating with relevant thematic stakeholders in Europe and in the pilot countries in close coordination with EU Delegations
- Identifying, mobilizing and supporting short-term experts in coordination with the Head of Project
- Regularly participating in relevant project activities in Europe and in partner countries
- Establishing and maintaining cooperation with academic and networking institutions in close coordination with the Head of Project
- Contributing to implementing the Communication & Visibility Plan of the project
- Monitoring of activities and providing input to Head of Project for overall reporting
Qualifications and skills:
- Master’s level degree in law, political sciences, administration or any other field relevant for the project
- Results-oriented in performing tasks and having attention to details, from demand-based planning through implementation; strong, demonstrated ability to translate strategic orientations into operational guidance
- Expert knowledge in crisis management, CSDP and peacekeeping operations, ideally with a focus on Asia
- Sound understanding of the security and defence cooperation of the EU and its member states
- A good knowledge and cultural understanding of Asia and its security context
- Fully fluent in English, both spoken and written; proficiency in German is desirable
- Confident in operating in a politically sensitive environment on security issues
- Strong team player with very good communication skills for liaising with stakeholders from different sectors in an intercultural setting
- At least 7 years of professional experience in advising national and international partners, mainly public entities (foreign offices / ministries of foreign affairs, ministries of defence) on policy issues, especially in the field of crisis management and peacekeeping
- At least 5 years of professional project management experience with managing complex policy, planning and implementation processes that require coordination with a wide range of stakeholders, including the higher political level
- Proven track record of working with EU institutions and the Federal Foreign Office as well as experience in working with/for GIZ would be an advantage
- Profound experience in organising high-level international conferences and events
- Solid track record of establishing partnerships and cooperation mechanism with officials at all levels from foreign governments, security forces and multinational organisations
- Working experience in CSDP missions (civilian or military) and/or other peacekeeping operations (e.g. UNDPKO) highly desirable
- Military experience is a strong asset; working experience in one or several of the partner countries an advantage
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your successful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails from our recruiting system as spam.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
Please send us an updated CV in EuropeAid format in English.
This position requires frequent travels to all partner countries (with a special focus on Indonesia) and to Brussels.
- We are a provider of international cooperation services for sustainable development and work to build a future worth living around the world. We support projects in over 130 countries to achieve goals sustainably together with our partners.
- Everyone has the same opportunities in our company, regardless of gender, nationality, religion, sexual orientation or physical disability. We recruit based on specialist expertise and social skills. Transparency and fair opportunities for career advancement are just as much a matter of course for us as gender not being a barrier to taking up a management position.
- Extensive check-ups and preventive measures (e.g. on appointment, before the outward journey, during the stay in a country of assignment, in an emergency) are provided to our staff and the family members accompanying them as a matter of course.
- You will receive various additional benefits during your stay abroad that will depend on your country of assignment.
We create prospects for people and with people. As GIZ has an international mandate, we offer a multicultural working environment. We are committed service providers and dedicated professionals, even under difficult circumstances. We take pride in enabling our employees to develop their professional and personal skills. There are plenty of reasons to join our motivated team – ranging from the diverse challenges you will face on a daily basis in one of our 130 partner countries, to the broad scope you will have for shaping your work.
+49 6196 79-3039
Gesines Jobtipps are handpicked and free of charge for job seekers and employers. And I make a living off them – via voluntary payments.
Please support me with an amount of your choice (in German). Thanks!