The Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ) with its 1,100 employees has gained an excellent reputation as an international competence centre for environmental sciences. We are part of the largest scientific organisation in Germany, the Helmholtz association. Our mission: Our research seeks to find a balance between social development and the long-term protection of our natural resources.
In the DigiMon-Project (Digital Monitoring of CO2 Storage Projects) reliable, cost-effective, and socially embedded methods for Measurement, Monitoring and Verification (MMV) of CO2 storage are developed to meet regulatory requirements and ensure a business case for Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS). Together with project partners all over Europe and the USA the post-doc will scrutinize on how novel monitoring systems developed during this project can be a tool for improving trust among stakeholders and the general public. The project work builds on the concept of the Societal Embeddedness Level of a technology, an instrument to assess a broader range of aspects that influence a successful introduction of new technologies into their societal context. Research will include analysis of conditions for monitoring, what type of monitoring approaches can be used to best communicate possible risks to different stakeholder groups and how an all-in-one system can positively influence public understanding, acceptance, and trust.
Post-Doc Position (m/f/x) in DigiMon – Digital Monitoring of CO2 Storage Projects
Working time: 100% (39 hours per week), limited to 30.09.2022
- Identification of relevant stakeholders in the technologies to be developed and refined in DigiMon
- Development of a human centered design approach together with different project partners
- Co-organize cooperation with stakeholders and decision makers
- Analysis and development of trust building mechanisms relevant for the technologies in DigiMon
- Analysis of social acceptance and public perception with a strong focus on reacting to hindrances and possibilities to enhance trust building capacities
- A PhD in Sociology or related discipline
- Qualitative and quantitative research skills
- Experience in research on public participation and social acceptance
- Interest in interdisciplinary work especially with natural scientists and engineers as well as cooperation with industry partners
- Excellent technical facilities which are without parallel.
- The freedom you need to bridge the difficult gap between basic research and close to being ready for application.
- Work in interdisciplinary, multinational teams, and excellent links with national and international research networks.
- A vibrant region with a high quality of life and a wide cultural offering for a balance between family and professional life.
- Interesting career opportunities and an extensive range of training and further education courses.
- Remuneration up to the TVöD public-sector pay grade 13 including attractive public-sector social security benefits.
The UFZ has a strong commitment to diversity and actively supports equal opportunities for all employees regardless of their origin, religion, ideology, disability, age or sexual identity. We look forward to applications from people who are open-minded and enjoy working in diverse teams.
Your contact for any questions you may have about the job:
Prof. Dr. Matthias Gross
Department of Urban and Environmental Sociology
Please submit your application via our online portal with your cover letter, CV (please omit your photo, age, or marital status) and relevant attachments.
Closing date for applications:
Place of work: Leipzig
More information about jobs at the UFZ: www.ufz.de/career
Helmholtz-Zentrum für Umweltforschung GmbH – UFZ
04318 Leipzig, Germany
Gesines Jobtipps are handpicked and free of charge for job seekers and employers. And I make a living off them – via voluntary payments.
Please support me with an amount of your choice (in German). Thanks!