The Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ) with its 1,100 employees has gained an excellent reputation as an international competence centre for environmental sciences. We are part of the largest scientific organisation in Germany, the Helmholtz association. Our mission: Our research seeks to find a balance between social development and the long-term protection of our natural resources.
The UFZ forms part of the Helmholtz-Initiative Climate Adaptation and Mitigation (HI-CAM) that will consist of a network across various Helmholtz Centres including about 60 early-career scientists of different disciplines investigating adaptation to extreme events as well as the development of a national net zero roadmap.
The mitigation part of the initiative aims to evaluate and pave the way for possible pathways to reach Net-Zero and thereby also to provide scientifically sound and transparent information on the potential of key technologies under different scenarios as well as against the background of the specific economical and societal feasibility. At the same time, information about mitigation potentials in different sectors, CO2 storage and utilisation potentials in natural and artificial systems, and new technologies for CO2 neutral systems is already available and needs to be compiled and assessed in a comprehensive manner. This will have to be carried out in a transparent way and in close interaction with society and stakeholders in order to generate sufficient momentum and develop consistent scenarios for the required substantial changes at all levels of society in order to reach net-zero by mid-century.
Postdoctoral Researcher (m/f/x)
Subject: Integrated and interactive assessment of social dimensions of the German Net Zero Roadmap
Working time: 50% (19,5 hours per week), limited to 30.06.2021
- Assessment of the societal dimension of ESYS-Matrix (https://energiesystemezukunft.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Publikationen/PDFs/ESYS_Materialien_Bioenergie.pdf, S. 5ff.)
- Review of the state of research and scientific assessments (IPCC, national academies of science, ministries (Environment, Research and Innovation, Economy) and agencies (UBA, BfN ….) on pathways and roadmaps for projecting and monitoring national mitigation and/ or energy policies
- Comparison of EU and national pathways/ roadmaps to achieve NET zero
- Systematic review and inclusion of societal criteria and indicators into the ESYS-Matrix
- Empirical analysis of the societal acceptance and political legitimacy/ feasibility of Net-Zero pathways (e.g. BECCs, Nature Based Solutions …) (Analysis of policy documents and social media, Surveys/ focus groups and stakeholder workshops)
- PhD in social sciences (political science, sociology)
- Strong motivation to contribute to the development of a German Net Zero Roadmap
- Experience with the evaluation of policy options/ pathways
- Skills and experience in empirical social research (conduct of interviews, surveys, focus groups and stakeholder workshops)
- Excellent technical facilities which are without parallel
- The freedom you need to bridge the difficult gap between basic research and close to being ready for application
- Work in inter-disciplinary, multinational teams and excellent links with national and international research networks
- A vibrant region with a high quality of life and a wide cultural offering for a balance between family and professional life
- Interesting career opportunities and an extensive range of training and further education courses
- Remuneration up to the TVöD public-sector pay grade 13 including attractive public-sector social security benefits
The UFZ has a strong commitment to diversity and actively supports equal opportunities for all employees regardless of their origin, religion, ideology, disability, age or sexual identity. We look forward to applications from people who are open-minded and enjoy working in diverse teams.
Your contact for any questions you may have about the job:
Dr. Silke Beck
Please submit your application via our online portal with your cover letter, CV (please omit your photo, age, or marital status) and relevant attachments.
Closing date for applications:
Place of work: Leipzig
More information about jobs at the UFZ: www.ufz.de/career
Helmholtz-Zentrum für Umweltforschung GmbH – UFZ
04318 Leipzig, Germany
Gesines Jobtipps are handpicked and free of charge for job seekers and employers. And I make a living off them – via voluntary payments.
Please support me with an amount of your choice (in German). Thanks!