Position Title : Liaison Assistant
Duty Station : Berlin, Germany
Reference Code : VN-DE1-2021-05
Classification : General Service Staff, Grade NO-A
Type of Appointment : One Year Fixed-Term Contract – 12 Months
(40hrs/week), with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : 1 June 2021
Closing Date : 16 May 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall guidance of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and the direct supervision of the National Liaison Officer, the Liaison Assistant will be involved in supporting the development of strategic partnerships with a range of actors and processes. As a part of the Liaison team, the incumbent will contribute to the preparation of and provide input to international and national events organized and/or supported by the IOM.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Assists the National Liaison Officer with researching, collecting and analysing relevant information on priority policy and merging issues within the field of migration and assists in policy formulation related to these issues, compiles and drafts summary reports;
- Assists responding to information requests and inquiries; processes, drafts and finalizes correspondence and other communications, including briefings/talking points; sets up and maintains files/records;
- Assists the National Liaison Officer with monitoring developments in the field of migration and related governmental policies, affecting the work of the organization;
- Provides support and research, compiles, and summarizes materials on German migration policy-related issues;
- Supports the planning and implementation of activities aimed at strengthening IOM’s partnerships and collaboration with other relevant international/national/regional institutions;
- Assists in maintaining liaison with Ministries, governmental authorities, national and international institutions and NGOs, with the aim to inform on and coordinate ongoing programmes and activities, to build partnerships and to promote new activities;
- Supports IOM’s networking activities with relevant stakeholders by arranging appointments, preparing missions and providing targeted background information.
- Assists in maintaining donor relations and mobilization of funding for new projects, including humanitarian relief interventions;
- Represents IOM Germany at conferences, workshops, outreach activities and any other meetings;
- Performs any other duties as assigned by the CoM.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in Political Science, Migration Studies, International Relations or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with at least four three years of relevant professional experience, preferably in similar roles;
- Completed High School degree from an accredited academic institution, with at least five six years of relevant professional experience.
Experience and Skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of German and EU institutions and German and EU migration policies;
- Working experience in similar function and/or with national, regional or international public bodies a distinct advantage;
- Experience in working in an international environment is a distinct advantage;
- Excellent writing, drafting, editing and reporting skills;
- Strong communication skills;
- Strong organizational skills including experience in organization of events and meetings;
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Fluency in both English and German required. Knowledge of another official IOM language (French, Spanish) is an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found under the following link.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
This post is subject to local recruitment. Only applicants holding a valid residence and work permit in Germany will be eligible for consideration.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications including a cover letter (not exceeding one page), CV and relevant certificates and references by email at HRDGermany@iom.int.
Due to the large volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contracted.
From 3 May 2021 to 16 May 2021.
International Organization for Migration / Germany
Human Resources Team
Gesines Jobtipps are handpicked and free of charge for job seekers and employers. And I make a living off them – via voluntary payments.
Please support me with an amount of your choice (in German). Thanks!