Position Title : National Liaison Officer
Duty Station : Berlin, Germany
Reference Code : VN-DE1-2021-04
Classification : General Service Staff, Grade NO-A
Type of Appointment : One Year Fixed-Term Contract – 12 Months
(40hrs/week), with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : 1 June 2021
Closing Date : 16 May 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and in close cooperation with other IOM Offices and Missions, the incumbent will be responsible for supporting donor liaison activities in Germany.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Maintain collaborative partnerships with all government entities that provide funding for international projects, as well as regional and international institutions;
- Maintain liaison with Ministries, governmental authorities, national and international institutions and relevant NGOs to coordinate ongoing programmes;
- Collect, analyze and present information on donor priorities and trends;
- Assist the CoM in developing resources mobilizing strategies and mechanisms for national programmes and projects, in coordination with DRD, the relevant HQ Departments, Regional Offices and Country Offices, and in line with IOM strategy and priorities;
- Assist the Regional Offices and Country Offices in fundraising activities for international programmes and projects; IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
- Support the CoM in coordinating with the Regional Offices and advising SRAs, DRD and HQ Departments on funding policies, priorities and procedures and preparing proposals and/or providing technical guidance to Regional Offices and Country Offices on the preparation of proposals for appropriate action;
- Supports the COM in assisting HQ, Country Offices and Regional Offices by monitoring funding received and verifying compliance of delivery with project proposals;
- Participate in conferences, meetings and workshops with national and international partners in close coordination with the COM;
- Supervise and administer staff members; plan and approve absences of staff, evaluate the staff/team’s performance, manage financial resources of the team and coordinate resource deployment;
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the CoM.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Masters’ Degree in Political Science, Migration Studies, International Relations or a related field from an accredited academic institution;
- Bachelors’ Degree in Political Science, Migration Studies, International Relations or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with at least two year s of relevant professional experience, preferably in similar roles.
Experience and Skills
- Knowledge of EU policies, structures and European best practices in the field of migration management;
- Proven expertise in liaising with partners and donors, including regional, national and international institutions;
- Working experience in a similar function and/or with national, regional or international public bodies;
- Experience organizing events and meetings;
- Excellent writing, drafting, editing and reporting skills;
- Strong communication and organizational skills;
- Demonstrated knowledge of German and EU institutions and German and EU migration policies;
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint is required.
Fluency in both English and German required. Knowledge of another official IOM language (French, Spanish) is an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found under the following link.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
This post is subject to local recruitment. Only applicants holding a valid residence and work permit in Germany will be eligible for consideration.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications including a cover letter (not exceeding one page), CV and relevant certificates and references by email at HRDGermany@iom.int.
Due to the large volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contracted.
From 3 May 2021 to 16 May 2021.
International Organization for Migration / Germany
Human Resources Team
Gesines Jobtipps are handpicked and free of charge for job seekers and employers. And I make a living off them – via voluntary payments.
Please support me with an amount of your choice (in German). Thanks!