Position Title : Project Assistant (U-Care)
Duty Station : Berlin, Germany
Reference Code : SVN-DE1-2020-23
Classification : General Service Staff, Grade G4
Type of Appointment : Special Short-Term Contract – 9 months (40hrs/week), with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : 4 January 2021
Closing Date : 18 December 2020
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall guidance of the Chief of Mission (COM) and the National Policy and Project Support Officer, the direct supervision of the Senior Project Assistant (MHPSS), and in close coordination with the Resources Management Unit (RMU), IOM Belgium, IOM Greece and with relevant Units in the Regional Office in Brussels and Headquarters (HQ), the incumbent assists the implementation of the transnational AMIF-funded project U-Care (Unaccompanied Children in Alternative Residence) to collect and assess best practices care models for Unaccompanied Migrant Children in Germany.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Supports the supervisor in the planning, coordination and implementation of the U-Care project in Germany;
- Assists in the development, design and conduct of interviews and focus group discussions with social workers, guardians, foster parents and Unaccompanied Migrant Children (UMC);
- Assists in the continuous monitoring, analysing and evaluating of the project’s elements, developments and schedules;
- Responds to information requests and inquiries of internal and external partners and ensures proper follow up of external and internal requests and actions;
- Assists the supervisor in compiling and drafting correspondences, concept notes, proposals, reports or other relevant documents or communications in the areas of responsibilities;
- Assists in researching, compiling and reviewing, best practices in the relevant areas of responsibilities in particular care models for UMCs in Germany focusing on alternative prototypes besides foster care;
- Supports the preparation of project/coordination meetings, workshops and trainings;
- Assists in promoting and coordinating the project activities with relevant Ministries, governmental authorities, institutions and NGOs;
- Ensures that the information collected and recorded is correct, complete and updated at all time;
- Assists in enhancing the visibility of project activities of IOM in Germany;
- Performs any other duties that may be assigned by the immediate supervisor and/or CoM.
Required Qualifications and Experience
University degree in Law, Political Science, Social Work, Pedagogy or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with at least two years of relevant professional experience, preferably in similar roles;
Completed High School degree from an accredited academic institution, with at least four years of relevant professional experience.
Experience and Skills
- Experience working with Unaccompanied Migrant Children (UMC) especially in the field of integration;
- Knowledge of the youth welfare system;
- Knowledge of key actors in the field of UMCs in Germany is an asset;
- In-depth knowledge of protection mechanisms for minors in Germany with a special focus on UMCs;
- In-depth knowledge of children rights and refugee protection;
- Strong networking skills;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Excellent communication skills, both in writing and orally as well as excellent drafting and reporting skills;
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint is required.
Fluency in both English and German required. Knowledge another official IOM language (French, Spanish) is an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found under the following link.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
This post is subject to local recruitment. Only applicants holding a valid residence and work permit in Germany will be eligible for consideration.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications including a cover letter (not exceeding one page), CV and relevant certificates and references by email at HRDGermany@iom.int.
Due to the large volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contracted.
From 4 December 2020 to 18 December 2020.
International Organization for Migration / Germany
Human Resources Team
Gesines Jobtipps are handpicked and free of charge for job seekers and employers. And I make a living off them – via voluntary payments.
Please support me with an amount of your choice (in German). Thanks!