Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title : Senior Programme Assistant (AVRR Counselling)
Duty Station : Berlin, Germany
Reference Code : VN-DE1-2019-17
Classification : General Service Staff, Grade G6
Type of Appointment : One-Year-Fixed-Term Contract (40hrs/week)
Estimated Start Date : February 2020
Closing Date : 11 November 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and in direct supervision of the National Project Manager and Liaison Officer the incumbent will be responsible for providing counselling services for migrants in Germany, with a particular focus on Assisted Voluntary Return and Reintegration (AVRR).
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Coordinate the planning, organizing and delivery of the AVRR counselling projects services to migrants in Germany;
- Collect and provide up-to-date, objective and reliable information on the situation in countries of return, and by doing so, assists in migrant’s informed decisions on return or other available options;
- Visit, provide briefings to, and counsel migrants in appointed accommodation areas in relation to AVRR and what it entails for migrants throughout the process;
- Coordinate implementing tailored interventions for individual cases seeking AVRR information, counselling support, and return;
- Coordinate information provision to concerning partner organizations, state-run and private contact points and local relief organizations;
- Provide information on relief offers, governmental support and/or private services to potential returnees (current programme promotes reintegration, potential direct assistance, Medicare and counselling service in the Country of Origin);
- As required, initialize support concerning return and reintegration (within the scope of IOM programmes);
- Exchange experience and collaborates with other players in the sector of migration counselling in Germany;
- Organize and prepare regular meetings and joint thematic events targeting other migration actors in different locations in Germany;
- In coordination with relevant counterparts, develop and implement strategy to inform the target group about possibilities of the voluntary return through the existing programs;
- Support the coordination of the different AVRR activities of IOM Germany and ensures activities and interaction with migrants are in line with IOM Principles for Humanitarian Action;
- Liaise with relevant internal and external counterparts in the area of counselling;
- Supervises and administers subordinated staff members; plans and approves absence of staff, monitors and evaluates the staff/team performance, provides guidance to the staff members; administers financial resources of the team, coordinates resource deployment.
- Perform any such other duties as may be assigned by the immediate supervisor and/or CoM.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in Political Science, Migration Studies, International Relations or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with four years of relevant professional experience, preferably in similar roles; OR
- Completed High School degree from an accredited academic institution, with six years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in project management an advantage;
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge on migration with a focus on implementing and processing AVRR activities in Germany is an asset;
- Experience with national, regional or international public bodies and knowledge about the AVRR landscape in Germany would be an advantage;
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint is required.
Excellent knowledge of spoken and written German and English. Knowledge of other official IOM language is an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies1 – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others and building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation. Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable. This post is subject to local recruitment. Only persons holding a valid residence and work permit for Germany will be eligible for consideration.
1 As applicable.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application including a cover letter not exceeding more than one page, CV and relevant certificates and references by email to HRDGermany@iom.int. Due to the volume of applications received, IOM Germany Human Resources will not be able to respond to all inquiries about the application status and will only contact shortlisted candidates.
Posting period: From 28 October 2019 to 11 November 2019
International Organization for Migration / Germany
Gesines Jobtipps are handpicked and free of charge for job seekers and employers. And I make a living off them – via voluntary payments.
Please support me with an amount of your choice (in German). Thanks!