Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title : Senior Project Assistant (MHPSS)
Duty Station : Berlin, Germany
Reference Code : VN-DE1-2020-13-EXT
Classification : General Service Staff, Grade G6
Type of Appointment : One-Year Fixed Term Contract (40hrs/week)
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 23 September 2020
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (COM) and the direct supervision of the National Policy and Project Support Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible for the implementation of projects related to Migrant Health and Psycho-Social Support for the IOM Mission in Germany.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Coordinates the implementation of all MHPSS projects’ activities in compliance with IOM internal policies and procedures as well as donor requirements;
- Conducts regular checks on the adherence of existing procedures;
- In close cooperation with relevant counterparts and project development team
prepares project proposals in the area of MHPSS;
- Coordinates the implementation of the MHPSS projects in the mission, monitors and evaluates project implementation plan, schedule and resources where applicable, verifies accuracy of documents, reports, etc. to ensure correctness and compliance with relevant internal and donor guidance and instructions;
- In close coordination with relevant partners and the project development and support team, and in line with established standard operating procedures and guidelines, prepares internal and external project reports;
- Maintain liaison with relevant governmental, non-governmental entities as well as other international organizations and local NGOs on project issues and participate in meetings;
- Reports concerns, as outlined in policy and procedures, in a timely manner to the Policy and Project Support Officer and assists in disseminating hereto relevant information to and from the staff;
- Supervises and administers subordinated staff members; plans and approves absence of staff, monitors and evaluates the staff/team performance, provides guidance to the staff members; administers financial resources of the team, coordinates resource deployment;
- Performs any other duties as assigned by the CoM and/or the immediate supervisor.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in Political or Social Sciences, Psychology, Migration Studies, or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with four years of relevant professional experience, preferably in similar roles;
- Completed High School degree from an accredited academic institution, with six years of relevant professional experience, preferably in similar roles.
Experience and Skills
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge on migration;
- Previous work experience with national, regional or international public bodies is an advantage;
- Knowledge of German institutions and German migration policies an advantage;
- Knowledge of Migrant Health and Psycho-Social Support (MHPSS) an advantage;
- Excellent communication and report drafting skills;
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint as well as Outlook is required.
Fluency in English and German. Knowledge of another official IOM language (French, Spanish) is an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found under the following link.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
This post is subject to local recruitment. Only applicants holding a valid residence and work permit in Germany will be eligible for consideration.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications including a cover letter (not exceeding one page), CV and relevant certificates and references by email at HRDGermany@iom.int.
Due to the volume of applications received, IOM Germany Human Resources will not be able to respond to all inquiries about the application status and will only contact shortlisted candidates.
From 9 September 2020 to 23 September 2020.
International Organization for Migration / Germany
Human Resources Team
Gesines Jobtipps are handpicked and free of charge for job seekers and employers. And I make a living off them – via voluntary payments.
Please support me with an amount of your choice (in German). Thanks!