Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title : Senior Project Assistant (Resettlement and Humanitarian Admission)
Duty Station : Berlin, Germany
Reference Code: VN-DE1-2019-18
Classification : General Service Staff, Grade G6
Type of Appointment : One-Year-Fixed-Term Contract (40hrs/week)
Estimated Start Date : December 2019
Closing Date : 11 November 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall guidance of the Chief of Mission (CoM), under the direct supervision of the National Project Manager and Liaison Officer, the incumbent coordinates IOM Germany’s Resettlement, Relocation and Humanitarian Admission activities.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Provide specialized assistance in planning and implementation of resettlement and humanitarian admission (HA) activities in line with mission’s strategies, policies and relevant fund-raising approaches.
- In close cooperation with relevant counterparts, prepares periodic and annual narrative reports in line with donor requirements.
- Maintain close communication with the relevant missions to collate and verify data sent from the missions regarding resettlement/HA projects is of high quality and in accordance with the donor’s requirements.
- Produce relevant information articles and news briefs for dissemination on IOM website and other electronic and social media channels.
- In close cooperation with relevant counterparts, prepares project proposals in the areas of resettlement and HA.
- Coordinates the planning and implementation of the ongoing resettlement and HA
- Maintain liaison with relevant governmental, non-governmental entities as well as other international organizations and local NGOs on programme issues and participate in meetings.
- Advance IOM engagement with civil society organizations, academic institutions, and creative sectors to identify opportunities for collaboration on integration and community cohesion projects.
- Supervises and administers subordinated staff members; plans and approves absence of staff, monitors and evaluates the staff/team performance, provides guidance to the staff members; administers financial resources of the team, coordinates resource deployment.
- Perform any such other duties as may be assigned by the immediate supervisor and/or CoM.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Completed University degree in Political Science, Migration Studies, International Relations or a related field from an accredited institution and at least 4 years professional experience or completed High School degree from an accredited academic institution, with six years of relevant professional experience.
- Advanced degree in social sciences (psychology, social work, sociology, human development and family studies or similar) relevant to the topics of unaccompanied minors, separated children, protection, safeguarding and/or integration would be and advantage.
- Knowledge of German and EU institutions and German and EU migration policies is an asset;
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge on migration with a focus on AVRR is an asset;
- Previous work experience with national, regional or international public bodies would be an advantage;
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint is required.
Fluent knowledge of spoken and written German and English. Knowledge of other official IOM language is an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies1 – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others and building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation. Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable. This post is subject to local recruitment. Only persons holding a valid residence and work permit for Germany will be eligible for consideration.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application including a cover letter not exceeding more than one page, CV and relevant certificates and references by email to HRDGermany@iom.int. Due to the volume of applications received, IOM Germany Human Resources will not be able to respond to all inquiries about the application status and will only contact shortlisted candidates.
Posting period: From 28 October 2019 to 11 November 2019
Contact International Organization for Migration / Germany
1 As applicable
Gesines Jobtipps are handpicked and free of charge for job seekers and employers. And I make a living off them – via voluntary payments.
Please support me with an amount of your choice (in German). Thanks!