DATE REVISED: 8/10/2020
POSITION TITLE: Media Trainer – Consultant
REPORTS TO: Project Director
LOCATION: Remote with possible Sub-Saharan Africa travel
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information.
IREX is seeking consultants/trainers between October 2020 and December 2021, to be hired to prepare and deliver regionally contextualized online trainings and workshops to journalists and other media practitioners in Sub-Saharan Africa. There will be trainings in English, French and Portuguese. Some limited in-person training may be included depending on travel conditions as related to the COVID-19 pandemic. This position is contingent on funding.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- In coordination with the Project Director, other trainers and stakeholders prepare regionally appropriate online workshop curricula for regional participants;
- Provide training, technical assistance, mentoring and capacity building to local journalists;
- Deliver trainings focused on topics including media professionalism and ethics, crisis reporting, risk mitigation and safety for journalists, fact-checking and countering disinformation, and media funding and business models;
- Contribute to program data collection and reporting;
- Other activities as agreed upon between IREX and the selected consultant.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- 3-5 years’ experience conducting trainings, specifically training individuals in media/journalism.
- Experience in online training for adults;
- In-depth local/regional knowledge and expertise in Sub-Saharan Africa;
- Experience working in cross-cultural environments;
- Fluency in English required, additional proficiency in French and/or Portuguese preferred;
- Experience training in Zulu, Swahili or other Sub-Saharan languages a plus;
- Excellent communication skills.
Gesines Jobtipps are handpicked and free of charge for job seekers and employers. And I make a living off them – via voluntary payments.
Please support me with an amount of your choice (in German). Thanks!