MERICS has an established track record in analyzing China’s innovation and technology policies as well as their global implications, including for European stakeholders. Over the coming months, the institute will expand its research and advisory portfolio on issues related to these themes. To develop this strategic growth area and lead a team of dedicated researchers, MERICS wishes to hire a
Head of Research: (Science) Innovation and Technology
as soon as possible. In this role, you will be a central member of the institute’s leadership team and directly report to the Executive Director and Management.
- You will conceptualize and conduct original research on China’s science, innovation, and technology policies, produce authoritative reports, policy analyses, and other written products.
- You will contribute to regular analyses and publications, working also with colleagues from other research teams on issues centered on but also going beyond your current core expertise.
- You develop and deliver research projects tailored to specific stakeholder needs and secure external funding.
- You serve as an expert commentator in the media and engage in public outreach through op-eds, public talks, social media, and other channels of communication and dissemination.
- You design and lead impactful client and stakeholder interactions, including in consultative meetings with public and private sector decision makers.
- You will lead and coordinate a team of both experienced and upcoming researchers.
- You develop and implement a strategic research agenda.
- You coordinate resources and priorities together with other (functional) team leaders.
- You interact with the management on strategic issues related to institutional, research, and professional development.
- You have significant professional work experience (>5 years) related to and are passionate about science, innovation, and technology in China.
- You have demonstrated experience in successfully leading teams and ambitious, multi-stakeholder (research) projects.
- You are comfortable working with Chinese primary sources and policy documents.
- You are familiar with the European policy landscape.
- You have experience living or working in China.
- You have a very good command of written and spoken English and strong knowledge of modern Chinese (minimally HSK 4 or equivalent). Knowledge of or willingness to learn German or one other European language will be an advantage.
You will be hired initially on a two-year contract, with a probationary period of six months and a strong endeavor to make your position a permanent one.
MERICS offers a flexible and stimulating work environment in a dynamic multi-disciplinary and international team. This position will be based in Berlin and come with a competitive salary (commensurate with experience and qualifications) and excellent benefits.
If you are interested in becoming part of our team, please submit your application by 7 May 2021, in one PDF document, containing a motivation letter, CV, and contact information of two referees.
Your application should be addressed to the Executive Director and be sent by e-mail to Mr. Felix Rasche at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Assistant for Administration and Personnel
Gesines Jobtipps are handpicked and free of charge for job seekers and employers. And I make a living off them – via voluntary payments.
Please support me with an amount of your choice (in German). Thanks!