- Location: DE-Berlin,
- Department: NYU Berlin (GL0002)
- School/Division: Global Programs (WS1750)
- Compensation Grade: Pending
- FT/PT: Full-Time
- Category: Business/Professional Administrative
The position of Student Life Administrator is a full-time position (40 hrs/week) at NYU Berlin’s Academic Center located in the Kulturbrauerei in Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin. The Student Life Administrator works directly with the Assistant Director for Student Life and the Coordinator of Student Services at NYU Berlin to provide administrative support for a wide range of services in the areas of student programming, communication, student conduct, immigration advising, registration with the German authorities, residential life services, safety and wellness, emergency response, as well as a number of immersive community projects. This is a 2-year fixed term role. Preferred start date: mid-/end-January 2020; application deadline November 30th, 2019.
- Successful completion of a university degree; Master’s Degree preferred.
- Previous experience living, working, or studying abroad (preferably in North America)
Preferred Experience, Skills and Abilities
- Experience in student services, university administration.
- Well-developed understanding of German culture and the city of Berlin.
- Experience in producing and editing texts in English (such as handbooks, newsletters, brochures etc.).
- Genuine interest in getting to know and developing support structures for a very diverse set of international students every semester.
- Familiarity with IT and social media.
- Ability to organize and deliver events and trips for up to 100-150 participants.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Outstanding German and English language skills (bilingual preferred).
- Excellent intercultural and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong ability to prioritize and multi-task as well as to deal with emergencies.
- Strong ability to work in a team as well as to develop ideas independently.
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills.
- Service excellence and delivery of high-quality solutions.
- Proactive with exceptional problem-solving skills.
- Confident public speaker, comfortable addressing groups of up to 100-150 people.
- Ability to interact confidently with students, faculty and high-level administrators.
- Flexible and patient (adaptable in a fast changing environment).
- A work permit for Germany valid through January 2022.
Administrative Support – Student Services – 60%
– Provide administrative support to the Assistant Director for Student Life and other staff.
– Processing of local police registration, local university enrollment, and visa applications for incoming NYU Berlin students.
– Advise and support students who seek out external services, such as doctors’ appointments or insurance coverage.
– Document student conduct cases and provide conflict resolution opportunities to students.
– Coordinate student organizations, including volunteering initiatives.
– Other tasks as assigned by the Assistant Director for Student Life and the Coordinator of Student Services.
Coordination of Extracurricular Learning Programs – 15%
– Assist in the planning and organization of immersive student programming, including orientation, on-campus workshops and seminars, excursions in the city as well as trips to surrounding areas.
– Accompany students on day- and weekend-trips (2-4 trips a semester).
Communication – 10%
– Ensure effective communication to students on all matters related to student services.
– Assist in the production of material for the weekly Student Newsletter.
– Produce and regularly update the NYU Berlin Student Handbook.
– Prepare memos and material for website and other publications.
Student Safety and Wellness – 15%
– Participate in the on-duty/on-call rotational emergency response and be available to respond to crises during scheduled evenings, weekends, and public holidays.
– Participate in Wellness training seminars and diversity workshops.
– Assist in the creation of manuals covering safety-related information and general travel advisories.
The Student Life Administrator will offer assistance to approx. 100 students each semester and up to 150 students in the summer, and accompany students on approx. 2-4 day trips and 1-2 weekend trips per semester.
Please consult NYU’s data processing policies based on the new General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) that can be found here:
Candidates must have the unrestricted right to work and live in Germany prior to appointment.
The University is an equal opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity and social inclusion.
Gesines Jobtipps are handpicked and free of charge for job seekers and employers. And I make a living off them – via voluntary payments.
Please support me with an amount of your choice (in German). Thanks!