- Full time
Do you want to help make the world a better place with your knowledge of strategic communications and media outreach? We’re seeking a Director of Regional Communications to be based in Brussels, London or Berlin to develop communications strategies and cultivate relationships with the international and local media and other partners to elevate and deepen engagement with our issues.
The Open Society Foundations work to build vibrant and inclusive democracies whose governments are accountable and open to the participation of all people. We are active in more than 120 countries, making us the world’s largest private funder of independent groups working for justice, democratic governance, and human rights.Communications plays a central role in the work of the Foundations by coordinating and strengthening the public presence of the global network and by helping to advance relevant issues. Communications works to raise Open Society's public profile by promoting the network’s many noteworthy achievements as well as responding to attacks from opponents of open society around the world. The department focuses on campaigning, media outreach, content development and messaging, creative and digital strategy, and internal communications to support dozens of Open Society foundations and programs worldwide.
As a Director of Regional Communications at Open Society, you will:
- Initiate, formulate, and manage implementation of media strategies to position key Open Society Foundations’ messages, people and grantees in print, online, broadcast, and other media;
- Lead one or more teams with members based between London, Berlin, New York and DC on conceptualizing and executing aspects of regional communications that may require network-wide or similarly complex coordination;
- Elevate the Open Society Foundations’ work, advising executive leadership on important press developments and media opportunities;
- Counsel teams to innovate and strengthen regional communications and related trainings for program staff and grantees;
- Work across Communications, as a member of the department Senior Management Team, to ensure cohesion between divisions and support a unified organization strategy.
What we are looking for:
- Senior-level external communications experience in an international organization;
- Senior-level management experience preferably with cross border teams;
- Comprehensive, specialized knowledge of communications and media, and a strong understanding of key open society issues, including leading figures and thinking;
- Ability to manage multiple stakeholders, interests, complex political and cultural factors, and management of long- and short-term goals;
- A skilled people manager and project leader, the director is expected to effectively supervise and grow program staff members, including through thoughtful attention to individual performance reviews, professional development, and mentoring as required;
- Excellent English-language writing and editing ability, as well as verbal skills;
- Commitment to continuous learning and growth in the areas of diversity, equity, inclusion, antiracism and social justice;
- Commitment to listening and working with humility; ways of working that are respectful to all people; and that support space and voice for all diverse perspectives in our workplace.
Desirable (but not required):
- At least ten years of progressively responsible experience in a situation relevant to the duties of this role;
- Proven success at managing effective communications in high stakes and/or crisis situations;
- Strong understanding of cultural differences and the proven ability to build and maintain relationships with a wide range of people from diverse backgrounds within a complex organization;
- Fluency in German and/or French;
- Willingness to travel (when employee policy permits again)
What we offer:
Ample opportunities to learn and grow, from annual professional development allowances to onsite trainings and brown bag lunches with visiting experts.
Top-notch benefits and perks designed for your well-being and a healthy work-life balance. With some variability according to location, this includes generous time off, flexible work arrangements, employer-paid health insurance, generous retirement savings plan, progressive paid parental leave, reproductive and family planning support, sabbatical opportunities, and much more.
A commitment to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace that enables everyone to bring their full self to work and make a positive impact on the world.
If this sounds like the position you have been looking for, please submit your cover letter and CV; we look forward to learning more about you.
Competitive rates of pay apply.
We aim to build an inclusive workforce that is reflective of the populations we support, and actively seek applications from those who are marginalized and underrepresented. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants and colleagues with disabilities.
The Open Society Foundations work to build inclusive and vibrant democracies whose governments are accountable to their citizens.
We are a global network of foundations committed to local knowledge and national expertise. Active in more than 120 countries, Open Society is the world’s largest private funder of independent groups working for justice, democratic governance, and human rights. In addition to making grants to organizations and individuals, we engage in policy advocacy, legal advocacy and litigation, program-related investing, and public communications, as well as providing direct assistance to governments.
The Open Society Foundations are the global philanthropies of George Soros, who, as chair, plays an active role in the work of the Foundations.
We are committed to ensuring our online application process is accessible to all job seekers, including individuals with disabilities. If you need assistance or accommodation in order to submit a job application, please contact us at:
Open Society Foundations
224 West 57th Street
New York, NY 10019
Gesines Jobtipps are handpicked and free of charge for job seekers and employers. And I make a living off them – via voluntary payments.
Please support me with an amount of your choice (in German). Thanks!