- Full time
12 Months Fixed Term Program Officer, The Information Program. London. Posting Date: 03/17/2021. Deadline: 04/07/2021
Do you want to help make the world a better place with your knowledge about our digital public sphere and how to make it work for open society? We are seeking a 12 months Fixed Term Program Officer role based in London, Berlin or New York to work with other Program Officer’ managing the Program’s work to confront disinformation and hate speech, protect free expression and hold platforms, the hosts of our public sphere, to account. The successful candidate will be responsible for evolving and implementing the strategy for the assigned area of work and carry out all relevant stages of grant making.
The Open Society Foundations work to build vibrant and inclusive democracies whose governments are accountable and open to the participation of all people. We are active in more than 120 countries, making us the world’s largest private funder of independent groups working for justice, democratic governance, and human rights.
The Information Program confronts the most significant threats and opportunities for open society spawned by change in information technology. These technologies transform the ways that governments and corporations exercise power, and the ways citizens communicate and mobilize to keep that power accountable. The Program supports work to understand the impacts of technological change, and to take risks with inventive ways to engage with these changes. https://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/who-we-are/programs
As a Program Officer at Open Society you will:
- Implement the strategy of the assigned area of work, using a range of tools including grant making, fellowships, litigation, and program-related investments;
- Evolve the strategy of the assigned area of work and present the Program’s work to both internal and external audiences;
- Manage relationships with grantees and other social change partners, issue grants to anchor grantees and make funding decisions about new grants within an approved budget and strategy;
- Build collaborative relationships outside OSF (e.g., with existing grantees, prospective grantees, experts in the community, etc.) as well as across the OSF network to advance rights and justice in the quantified society;
- Monitor fields of interest to the Information Program and OSF and participate in the development of the Information Program’s overall strategy.
What we are looking for:
- Sound experience of progressively responsible experience in a leading role at an NGO, government agency or research institution focussed on the interplay between technology, rights and justice;
- Mastery of the key issues in the area of technology, rights and justice, including familiarity with current controversies and thinking in the field focussed on reforming our digital public sphere.
- Demonstrated success in advancing social change strategies, including the ability to adopt those strategies in response to an evolving situation;
- Project management skills, including the ability to direct others to gather evidence and research to support a key decision or judgment and excellent written and spoken communication skills in English is essential;
- Commitment to continuous learning and growth in the areas of diversity, equity, inclusion, antiracism and social justice;
- Commitment to listening and working with humility; ways of working that are respectful to all people; and that support space and voice for all diverse perspectives in our workplace.
What we offer:
- Ample opportunities to learn and grow, from annual professional development allowances to onsite trainings and brown bag lunches with visiting experts.
- Top-notch benefits and perks designed for your well-being and a healthy work-life balance. With some variability according to location, this includes generous time off, flexible work arrangements, employer-paid health insurance, generous retirement savings plan, progressive paid parental leave, reproductive and family planning support, sabbatical opportunities, and much more.
- A commitment to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace that enables everyone to bring their full self to work and make a positive impact on the world.
See what a day in the life of a Program Officer at Open Society is like.
If this sounds like the position you have been looking for, please submit a cover letter that addresses the specific skills and experience that OSF requires for Program Officers (guidance is located here) and CV; we look forward to learning more about you.
Please note, this position is not eligible for work authorization sponsorship.
Competitive rates of pay apply.
We aim to build an inclusive workforce that is reflective of the populations we support, and actively seek applications from those who are marginalized and underrepresented. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants and colleagues with disabilities.
The Open Society Foundations work to build inclusive and vibrant democracies whose governments are accountable to their citizens.
We are a global network of foundations committed to local knowledge and national expertise. Active in more than 120 countries, Open Society is the world’s largest private funder of independent groups working for justice, democratic governance, and human rights. In addition to making grants to organizations and individuals, we engage in policy advocacy, legal advocacy and litigation, program-related investing, and public communications, as well as providing direct assistance to governments.
The Open Society Foundations are the global philanthropies of George Soros, who, as chair, plays an active role in the work of the Foundations.
We are committed to ensuring our online application process is accessible to all job seekers, including individuals with disabilities. If you need assistance or accommodation in order to submit a job application, please contact us at:
Open Society Foundations
224 West 57th Street
New York, NY 10019
Gesines Jobtipps are handpicked and free of charge for job seekers and employers. And I make a living off them – via voluntary payments.
Please support me with an amount of your choice (in German). Thanks!