The climate needs bright minds. The Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research (PIK) addresses crucial scientific questions in the fields of global change, climate impacts and sustainable development. It is one of the world's leading research institutions in its field and offers natural and social scientists from around the world an inspiring environment for excellent interdisciplinary research.
For the Director's Executive Staff PIK is offering a position as
Science Coordinator for the Institute’s Leadership (f/m/d)
(Position number: 24-2021-Science Coordinator)
starting as soon as possible.
The position is funded for 2 years. Remuneration is in accordance with German public tariff scheme (TV-L Brandenburg), salary group E 13. This is a full-time position with a weekly working time of 40 hours per week.
- Scientific support, coordination and organization of the tasks of the Scientific Directors Johan Rockström and Ottmar Edenhofer
- Content coordination and process management, internal and external interface function, preparation of decision papers
- Control and steering of projects: Monitoring of project objectives, control of technical and human resources in coordination with the Finance and Human Resources units, adjustment of deadlines to the progress of projects
- Technical advice and content-related support for the Scientific Directors
- Regular reporting to various committees
- Preparation of statements in connection with external and internal contacts
- Conception and realization of speeches and statements on various scientific topics for the Scientific Directors
- Coordination with other organizational units of PIK and support of administrative processes for the Director's Executive Staff
- Planning and realization of scientific exchange in different networks
- Preparation, follow-up and moderation of meetings for the Scientific Directors,
- Organization and realization of scientific events, e.g. conferences, workshops etc.
- Master's degree in environmental or political science, international relations, economics or a related field
- Analytical interest in and understanding of political and scientific debates
- Knowledge of the functioning of academic institutions, the interpretation of scientific results and science communication
- Experience in the application of social, political, legal and economic methods, including the basics of scientific theory, classification of the significance of research processes, assessment of qualitative and quantitative methods, application of evaluation methods, project and quality management.
- Project management skills and experience in coordinating scientific projects with several partners as well as in stakeholder network management
- Fluency in German and English
- Familiarity with presentation techniques as well as computer skills in the field of standard software, especially MS Office
- Knowledge of copyright law in the context of the regulations on good scientific practice and ethics
- The ability to work independently, on your own initiative and in a team
- A methodical, systematic and goal-oriented approach
- The capacity to familiarize yourself quickly with new topics
- Creativity and openness to new approaches, organizational talent
- Reliability, the ability to cope with stress and a high level of motivation
- Willingness to travel for work (project meetings, workshops etc.)
- Opportunities to gain insights into directorial scientific and operational work of an internationaly recognized research institute,
- Engagement with the forefront of international research in Earth Systems Sciences and Climate Impacts Research,
- The chance to be part of a creative, interdisciplinary and welcoming team,
- A stimulating working environment on Potsdam's beautiful, historic Telegrafenberg campus, a short commuting distance from Berlin,
- A collective pay scheme and associated benefits.
PIK seeks to increase the share of women in scientific positions and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply. In cases of equal qualification and within the given legal scope, women will be given preference. Applications by persons with a migration background are expressly encouraged. Applications of disabled persons with equal qualifications will be regarded favourably. PIK also encourages applications by parents returning from parental leave.
Please apply by 09.05.2021 directly using our application form. Application documents should comprise a letter of motivation, a CV with the contact details of two referees, and a sample of your work (e.g. thesis or journal publication, online publication profile or similar).
For further information please contact Reinhild Costa, Email: Reinhild.Costa@pik-potsdam.de.
Gesines Jobtipps are handpicked and free of charge for job seekers and employers. And I make a living off them – via voluntary payments.
Please support me with an amount of your choice (in German). Thanks!