We are looking for a Team Leader (f/m/d) (100%) to develop and implement our applied research program on inclusive and climate-resilient urban and peri-urban agriculture. Cities hold a great potential for food system transformation. Current urbanization trends make cities a focus of food security policies, embedding cities in landscape approaches is key to achieving climate resilience. This new program is also a response to the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic, as physical distancing measures reduced food access. On-going efforts to mitigate the impact of the pandemic offer the opportunity to contribute to more sustainable and inclusive urban and peri-urban food systems.
This project is financed by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
TMG Research is a sustainability Think Tank that is based in Berlin. Our work programs focus on human rights-based land governance, sustainability transformations of our food systems, and landscape management. Digitalization and sustainability governance are cross-cutting themes. TMG Research is a member of the Think Sustainable Europe network of European Sustainability Think Tanks.
Under the supervision of the Head of Programmes, the successful candidate would:
- Design and implement the work program of the project in a collaborative way with the team and where possible coordinate synergies with other work streams at TMG
- Supervise and coordinate a team of three researchers and liaise with project partners, external experts and stakeholders in West- and East-Africa and Europe
- Design and oversee the transdisciplinary research in two cities in West- and East-Africa
- Facilitate the program’s partner network
- Be responsible for quality assurance and for creating the learning, monitoring and evaluation tools for the program
- Be in charge of donor reporting and oversight of the project’s budgets in close collaboration with the administration team
- Strategically position the project in the relevant policy debates through participation in meetings,various types of publications, papers, articles and through the use of various digital media
- Become a member of TMG Research’s Management Team and ensure cross-fertilization between the organization’s different projects and programmes
What we offer:
- Working in a transdisciplinary thinktank with a truly international work program and the aspiration to enable sustainability transformations
- The opportunity to shape the development of activities aiming to create sustainable, food secure urban landscapes
- A dynamic, diverse, and family-friendly working environment
- A position that is remunerated in accordance with the TVöD E14/15, depending on the candidate’s qualifications and experience
- At least five years of relevant work experience with proven supervisory responsibilities and experience in working within an international environment
- Ability to work effectively and sensitively with a wide range of partners from science, politics, civil society, and the private sector
- Proven excellent organizational and management skills
- In-depth knowledge on issues of socially-inclusive food security policies, sustainable urban development, and transdisciplinary research
- Experience in managing grant resources according to German law is an asset
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and good working knowledge of German necessary (French language skills are an asset)
- At least a master’s degree in international development, economics, politics, or a related field.
This position is to be filled as soon as possible and will have a duration of four years, with possibility of extension. TMG Research gGmbH is an equal opportunity employer.
Applications including a cover letter, CV with two referees and references, and links to selected publications (non-academic publications are equally welcome) should be submitted in one PDF document (max. 5 MB) by 7 February 2021. Please upload your application online via the application button and refer in your application to the website where the job ad was published.
The interviews are scheduled to take place between 11 - 12 February 2021. For information on the project, please contact Jes Weigelt via email (email@example.com). For details on the application process, please contact Ms. Anna Günther via email (HR@tmg-thinktank.com).
Gesines Jobtipps are handpicked and free of charge for job seekers and employers. And I make a living off them – via voluntary payments.
Please support me with an amount of your choice (in German). Thanks!