WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance
JOB TITLE: Head of ShareTheMeal Initiative
TYPE OF CONTRACT: Consultant
UNIT/DIVISION: Innovation and Knowledge Management (INK)
DUTY STATION (City, Country): Berlin, Germany
DURATION: 11 months (with the possibility to extend)
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the 2020 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate. WFP is the world’s largest humanitarian organization, saving lives in emergencies and using food assistance to build a pathway to peace, stability and prosperity for people recovering from conflict, disasters and the impact of climate change. Around 14,000 people work for the organization, most of them in remote areas, directly serving the hungry poor.
ShareTheMeal is WFP’s fundraising and awareness-raising app. Free to download, the award-winning app is a pioneering way for people to join our efforts in creating a world with zero hunger. ShareTheMeal was launched in 2015 as the first pilot of WFP’s Innovation Accelerator and is part of WFP’s Innovation and Knowledge Management Division, which among other things supports start-ups and innovators in developing their ideas for zero hunger.
ShareTheMeal was launched in 2015 and currently has more than 3,7 million users worldwide, who have shared more than 86 million meals (over US$ 43 million). WFP is pursuing an ambitious growth strategy for individual giving, and ShareTheMeal is a key driver for this strategy going forward. The team, located in Berlin, is focused on further developing the app to include new and innovative features, and on increasing the engagement of existing users and growing the user base through marketing and communication initiatives.
The Consultant, reporting to WFP’s Director of Innovation, is expected to:
- Lead the ShareTheMeal initiative:
a. Driving growth and developing overall strategies and priorities, including for the ShareTheMeal initiative to become a multi-channel platform;
b. Manage the team’s human, financial and other resources;
c. Explore and negotiate external agreements and new corporate partnerships in compliance with WFP guidelines;
d. Develop and supervise a coordinated work plan for the team; develop priorities, projects and provide advice/support to staff under supervision and liaise and coordinate work with other day-to-day managers of the ShareTheMeal initiative as required;
e. Recruit, develop and evaluate staff;
f. Represent the ShareTheMeal initiative on behalf of WFP in external events and with media;
g. Issue regular updates on progress, issues and plans to WFP leadership and key internal stakeholders.
2. Advise on and support the development of other WFP mobile innovations as required:
a. Advise and support WFP managers on project plans and stakeholder management;
b. Participate and carry out discussions with senior managers in other divisions and external stakeholders to align on objectives, activities, timelines and outputs;
c. Coach and lead other staff/consultants as required;
d. Assess learnings from the ShareTheMeal initiative and other mobile innovations and their relevance for WFP;
e. Continually scan tech environments for shifts in trends in mobile technologies and assess their applicability for WFP.
DELIVERABLES AT THE END OF THE CONTRACT:
- Ongoing development of the ShareTheMeal initiative, in line with plans and priorities agreed with Director, INK, to ensure WFP remains first-mover in the mobile giving space;
- Strong leadership and development of ShareTheMeal staff as well as efficient management of resources;
- When needed, suitable support and advice to other WFP innovations, the Innovation Accelerator as well as the Director, INK.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
The candidate must have an advanced degree in a business discipline (e.g., Business Administration, Innovations Management), international development, politics and/or engineering & technology.
At least 10 years of national and international experience in a business and/or start-up and technology company and/or international development related positions. Experience in strategy/management consulting and/or project management essential.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Ability to develop and champion a forward-looking vision and to establish a strategy;
- entrepreneurial thinking and strong conceptual thinking to develop new strategies and innovative projects;
- Strong presentation skills in executive and senior management environment;
- Ability to maintain relationships with senior leaders, private partners and clients;
- Strong negotiation skills;
- Ability to coach team members in developing and applying strong analytical abilities, both quantitative and qualitative;
- Collaborative spirit able to liaise with a wide range of people at all levels and across different cultures and to act with credibility and diplomacy;
- Strong time management skills with an ability to plan ahead, anticipate requirements, problems and obstacles, and an ability to juggle competing priorities successfully, and to work to tight deadlines;
- Fully committed and motivated to achieve the aims of the World Food Programme.
In addition to a high proficiency in written and spoken English, knowledge of German or a second UN language is a plus
Terms and Conditions
WFP offers a competitive compensation package which will be determined by the contract type and selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Please visit the following websites for detailed information on working with WFP.
http://www.wfp.org Click on: “Our work” and “Countries” to learn more about WFP’s operations.
Deadline for applications: 27 November 2020
Ref.: VA No. 131242
Qualified female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply.
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
Gesines Jobtipps are handpicked and free of charge for job seekers and employers. And I make a living off them – via voluntary payments.
Please support me with an amount of your choice (in German). Thanks!