- Location: DE-Berlin,
- Department: NYU Berlin (GL0002)
- School/Division: Global Programs (WS1750)
- Compensation Grade: Pending
- FT/PT: Full-Time
- Category: Student Services/Athletics
The NYU Berlin full-time Resident Assistant position is a live-in position within NYU Berlin’s Student Residence in Berlin, Kreuzberg. It encompasses a broad range of responsibilities and offers a great entry-level job. The Resident Assistant’s primary role is to monitor and improve students’ well-being at the Student Residence and promote a sense of community among students. Moreover, the Resident Assistant will serve as a source of expertise on German culture and society. Additional tasks include project-related administrative support of the Student Life team. Some work on evenings or weekends should be anticipated. Availability is mandatory for residential staff training, student arrival and departure days, student orientation, as well as a limited number of day and weekend trips. A high level of service is required. The Resident Assistant will be one of 2-3 staff living in NYU Berlin’s Student Residence in Kreuzberg and will be offered a modern, furnished single apartment within the residence. This is a 12 month fixed term role. Application deadline 30 September, 2019. Preferred start date will be beginning/mid-October, 2019.
- Act as a role model and first point of contact for students, providing logistical guidance and emotional support.
- Communicate housing policies to students and ensure that these policies are observed; impose appropriate sanctions, if necessary.
- Assist in the facilitation of roommate conflicts.
- Understand the needs, goals and objectives of and act as a liaison between other parts of the NYU Berlin administration and students.
- Provide informal counseling and emotional support as defined by NYU Berlin’s Wellness Counselor on the basis of the mediation training provided.
- Assist in the organization and supervision of the weekly linen exchange.
- Organize housing check-in, check-out, and housing orientations at the Residence and communicate with appropriate NYU Berlin staff regarding housing issues.
- Assist with the facilitation of fire drills each semester.
- Provide administrative support to the Student Life staff at the Academic Center. Office support may include filing, photocopying, and answering enquiries via phone, email and in person about all aspects of NYU Berlin.
- Attend regular staff meetings and one-on-one meetings.
- Participate in on-going training and staff development sessions throughout the year.
- Organize regular ‚office hours‘ in NYU Berlin’s facilities.
- Submit contributions for the NYU Berlin newsletter and other communication channels as requested by the Student Life staff.
Events & Activities:
- Organize and conduct regular activities to create a sense of community, i.e. student workshops and weekend events. Develop flyers, posters, and brochures.
- Provide organizational support for a wide range of services and programs as requested by NYU Berlin Student Life staff. RAs assist in the organization and supervision of events throughout the semester and accompany students on 2-3 day and 1-2 weekend trips per semester.
- Complete other project-related duties as requested by NYU Berlin Student Life staff, i.e. promotion and administration of extra-curricular activities such as volunteering opportunities, clubs, and sports events.
Emergency and Crisis Support:
- Provide periodic 24/7 emergency phone coverage, shared with other staff.
- Respond to medical and personal crisis situations.
- Know University/community resources and make appropriate referrals.
- Keep supervisors informed about all problems and concerns on the floor.
- Maintain appropriate confidentiality while working in coordination with other University staff.
- Assist with the student conduct process by submitting incident reports to document cases of concern in a timely manner.
- Successful completion of a Bachelor’s Degree.
- Previous experience living, working, or studying abroad (preferably in North America)
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Fluency in German and English.
- Excellent intercultural and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong ability to prioritize and multi-task as well as to deal with emergencies.
- Strong ability to work in a team as well as to develop ideas independently.
- Service excellence and delivery of high-quality solutions.
- Confident public speaker.
- A work permit for Germany valid through October 2020.
Preferred Experience, Skills and Abilities
- Experience in producing and editing texts in English (such as handbooks, newsletters, etc.).
- Genuine interest in getting to know and developing support structures for a very diverse set of international students every semester.
- Familiarity with IT and social media.
- Ability to organize and deliver events and trips for up to 100 participants.
Please consult NYU’s data processing policies based on the new General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) that can be found here: www.nyu.edu/it/gdpr/prospective-employee.
Candidates must have the unrestricted right to work and live in Berlin prior to appointment.
The University is an equal opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity and social inclusion.
Gesines Jobtipps are handpicked and free of charge for job seekers and employers. And I make a living off them – via voluntary payments.
Please support me with an amount of your choice (in German). Thanks!