Established in 2017, NRC Flüchtlingshilfe Deutschland is the German branch of NRC, and reports to the Executive Director of the NRC Partnerships and Policy Department. The main task of NRC Flüchtlingshilfe Deutschland is to liaise with German authorities and to handle grants from German institutional donors. The Berlin office further assists NRC with policy engagement in Germany.
NRC’s Partnership and Policy Department is looking for a new Institutional Partnership Advisor (IPA) for its office in Berlin (NRC Flüchtlingshilfe Deutschland). The job is a project-based position (nine months). An extension of the contract depends on the amount of grants secured by NRC Flüchtlingshilfe Deutschland during 2019.
The Partnerships and Policy Department is responsible for NRC’s strategic relations with institutional donors and private foundations and is the “centre of excellence” on donor/partner relations in NRC. The new IPA is expected to take on the role as one of NRC’s two lead expert advisers on institutional donors (and foundations) specific to Germany. The IPA is responsible for strategic relations with these donors and for building internal capacity and maintaining a help desk on donor related issues.
Role and Responsibilities
Responsibilities related to NRC’s main strategic donors in Germany
Be one of two NRC focal points regarding expertise on German donors and their relations with NRC:
- Analyse and share information internally in NRC on the policies and priorities of the donor
- Establish and maintain close relations with key staff in the donor HO
- Advise NRC colleagues on communication lines with the donor, annual funding cycles, and best practice when it comes to resource mobilisation
- Maintain an overview of NRC’s past and present engagement with the donor
- Assist with setting up, preparing as well as participate in donor meetings
Assist with resource mobilisation:
- Track and share information about new funding opportunities
- Undertake “donor mappings” upon request from NRC Country Offices and departments Be responsible for prequalification processes in order to access donor funding
- Manage the processes related to prioritisation of internally competing proposals
Provide help-desk support and capacity build staff on fund raising and donor rules
- Stay updated on donor conditionals, rules & regulations. Ensure that key information about these is regularly updated and available to NRC staff in order to facilitate compliance
- Provide advice on donor expectations and requirements in proposal and reports
- Provide advice on clauses in grant agreements, service contracts and consortia agreements
- Document learning and good practice related to the individual donor
Network and advocate for improved financing conditions
- Network, share information and undertake joint lobbying (vis-à-vis donors) with other NGOs that receive financial support from the same donor
- Advocate for and negotiate improved conditions with the donor, whenever relevant
Liaise with other NRC units on donor related issues
- Stay updated on NRC ‘s priorities and funding needs
- Ensure that NRC’s donor relations are adequately reflected in external communication
- Establish and coordinate donor specific internal working groups or other regular meeting points to facilitate sharing of information, capacity building, learning, etc.
The Institutional Partnership Adviser shall have specific responsibility for the following NRC donors. The final division of responsibilities (per donor and geographically) between the new position and the existing IPA will be determined together with the successful candidate upon taking up the position.
- BMZ: Bundesministerium für wirtschaftliche Zusammenarbeit und Entwicklung (Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development)
- GIZ: Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (German Corporation for International Cooperation)
- KFW: Kreditanstalt für Wiederaufbau (German Development Bank)
- FFO: Auswärtiges Amt – AA (Federal Foreign Office)
- Any other German Institutional donor; foundations; corporate partners.
Generic professional competencies for this position:
- University degree or equivalent qualification.
- Minimum 5 years of experience from a humanitarian/development organisation and/or from a donor administration, either at Head Office/capital or field/ level.
- Knowledge and experience of donors listed under “specific responsibilities”, including strategic priorities, organisational setup and funding mechanisms is essential.
- Documented results in resource mobilisation, including with developing proposals and reports to government donors, UN or similar.
- A thorough understanding of Project Cycle Management, especially of the logical framework approach. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including negotiation skills.
- Knowledge and experience from working with German foundations is an advantage.
- A conscientious and structured person with strong planning and administrative skills, including computer skills (MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, and preferably also Agresso)
- Full professional fluency in German and English.
Contract period: Nine months, starting as soon as possible. A possible extension of the position depends on the number of grants secured during 2019 and the NRC Flüchtlingshilfe Deutschland budget.
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions.
Duty station: Berlin, Germany
Application procedures and CV registration:
Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the „Company name“ field for both company and location
All candidates will hear back from us within three weeks after the application deadline. NRC Flüchtlingshilfe Deutschland reserves the right to start interviewing candidates before the final deadline.
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
Key info: Advertiser: Norwegian Refugee Council
Ref. nr.: 4001061783
Temporary, Full time
Start date: 01/02/2019
End date: 31/10/2019
Number of positions: 1
Institutional Partnership Advisor
Gesines Jobtipps are handpicked and free of charge for job seekers and employers. And I make a living off them – via voluntary payments.
Please support me with an amount of your choice (in German). Thanks!