Tactical Tech is an international NGO, with an office in Berlin. At Tactical Tech, we strive to create a world where digital technologies can contribute to a more equitable, democratic and sustainable society.
We are looking for an experienced researcher or company who has a good understanding of NGO work around human rights, technology, privacy and gender to carry out an evaluation on one of our projects.
The project explores the ways in which the internet is affecting fundamental rights and political participation: including its effects on spaces for civil society, increased discrimination; how it can be more effectively used to reduce corruption, and increase transparency and accountability; and, how these rights are linked to the need for a free, open and safe internet. The projects which contribute to these goals include: DATA AND POLITICS, EXPOSING THE INVISIBLE, DATA DETOX and THE GLASS ROOM.
Through a methodology based on responding to demand on the ground and direct collaboration and co-design, we work practically and collaboratively to identify common challenges, pool expertise, develop solutions that can be adapted locally and shift capacity to Human Rights Defenders and NGOs in the global South.
We would like to collaborate with a researcher on this evaluation to develop an external project evaluation. We would like to develop a methodology and framework to evaluate strategies for learning about security and privacy in the activist and public education context, particularly with respect to the development and outreach of toolkits and learning resources, such as DATA DETOX and EXPOSING THE INVISIBLE: THE KIT, with partners.
The overall objective of the evaluation is to: make an independent assessment of the progress attained to-date in relation to expected early outcomes, from grant proposal indicators, highlighting what works well, and what can be improved to enhance the likelihood of achieving the project objectives.
SCOPE OF WORK
This is a long-term evaluation that requires a commitment of up to 40 days over 2019-2021 and might include attendance at sprints or events, discussions and meetings with key staff, including internet calls, as well as yearly written updates on progress, and partnering with Tactical Tech’s research team in creating outputs including a draft for comments and a final, formal, donor-facing report.
The consultant shall compile the findings and recommendation in a final, formal, funder-facing report.
July 2019 – September 2021 (more detailed timeline will be discussed)
CRITERIA FOR SELECTION
The consultant shall be selected on the basis of proven experience, qualifications and ability to deliver a quality product in a timely and efficient manner.
- Has conducted impact evaluations and has experience with standard monitoring and evaluation mechanisms and processes in international NGO and donor contexts.
- Has at least 7 years experience.
- Is fluent in English.
- Has advanced degrees in humanities or social sciences discipline.
- Has extensive experience with empirical research, particularly qualitative and action research methods.
- Is familiar with NGO and civil society contexts and networks in Asia, Africa and Latin America.
- Demonstrable commitment to Tactical Tech’s mission and values, including an understanding of the geopolitical contexts in which Tactical Tech’s work is carried out including understanding the importance of confidentiality.
Please find the terms of reference HERE.
Interested consultants can submit their expression of interest to EMILY@TACTICALTECH.ORG by Monday 8 July 2019 and include the following:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV).
- Letter of Motivation outlining how your experience, skills, qualifications and professional networks fit with this job. (one page maximum).
- Copies of the relevant articles/reports published through indication of online links or submission of PDF version of these via email attachments.
- Quote including proposed number of days.
Should you have any questions, please contact EMILY@TACTICALTECH.ORG.
Tactical Tech is committed to eliminating discrimination and encouraging diversity amongst our workforce. Our aim is that our workforce will be truly representative of all sections of society and that each employee feels respected and is able to give of their best.
Available at https://tacticaltech.org/#/call-external-evaluation
Gesines Jobtipps are handpicked and free of charge for job seekers and employers. And I make a living off them – via voluntary payments.
Please support me with an amount of your choice (in German). Thanks!