Application Closing Date – 06 Oct 2019
Job Start Date – As soon as possible
Duration – 2 years, with the possibility of extension
Location – Berlin, Germany
Transparency International (TI) is the global civil society organisation leading the fight against corruption. In collaboration with more than 100 chapters worldwide and an international secretariat in Berlin, Germany, TI raises awareness of the damaging effects of corruption and works with partners in government, business and civil society to develop and implement effective measures to tackle it.
TI’s international secretariat (TI-S) supports the achievement of TI’s goals through developing cutting-edge research products, supporting the organisation’s advocacy initiatives through collection of robust evidence and serving the knowledge needs of key stakeholders within the anti-corruption community.
TI seeks to fill the position of Research Expert – Anti-Corruption Measurements to provide leadership on the design as well as oversight and quality control on the implementation of various evidence-based outputs produced by the TI-Secretariat and TI network of chapters. In addition to managing TI flagship products such as the Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI) and the Global Corruption Barometer (GCB), the Research Expert will lead the development of innovative research tools to advance TI’s advocacy and programmatic work as well as provide support and quality control to the implementation of these tools by TI’s partners. A special focus will be on research methods relevant to TI global priorities in the areas of political integrity and corrupt money flows. The Research Expert will also be a main spokesperson for TI-S on anti-corruption metrics, will be responsible for maintaining close working relationships with the broader governance and anti-corruption research community, and will identify relevant partnerships and funding opportunities to advance TI’s evidence-based advocacy work.
Main function: Provision of expert research and knowledge services to key stakeholders in support of TI’s global strategic priorities.
Starting date: As soon as possible
Duration: 2 years, with the possibility of extension
Location: TI-Secretariat (TI-S), Berlin/Germany, with the possibility of international travel
- Manage the effective delivery and use of TI flagship research tools (CPI, GCB) and other key research tools including designing research methodologies, conducting quality control, writing up findings/research reports, and communicating results to diverse audiences
- Lead in the development of new (anti-)corruption research tools and provide research expertise in support of TI strategic priorities
- Lead on the design / oversee external consultants in designing relevant anti-corruption research tools for TI’s advocacy and programmatic work
- Provide training, technical assistance and quality control in the implementation of TI’s anti-corruption research tools
- Support TI national chapters, TI staff and external stakeholders in the use of TI’s research products
- Serve as a member of TI’s Editorial Committee, provide constructive input and quality control on research-related aspects of TI’s major reports and papers
- Maintain and grow networks with key stakeholders (including in the research community) to link and build on TI’s research work via partnerships with others
- Represent TI publicly at conferences and in the news media
- Write and publish regularly about TI tools, evidence and research relevant to our priorities
- Raise funds to ensure sustainable funding of current and new projects
- Contribute to monitoring, evaluation and learning activities
Knowledge, experience and skills:
- Masters or equivalent in a relevant field of the social sciences, such as political science, sociology, economics, public administration or related, with an academic emphasis on econometrics and statistics; a Ph.D. is desirable
- Minimum 10 years of relevant experience in applied research (preferably on governance and anti-corruption) in a global and/or cross-country setting
- Demonstrated understanding of anti-corruption from research and policy perspectives
- Extensive experience in research design, quantitative and qualitative research methods
- Extensive experience cleaning and merging complex datasets
- Advanced knowledge of statistical packages such as R, SPSS and/or Stata, as well as MS Office (incl. Excel), online communications and related applications
- Proven experience in providing training, technical assistance and quality control on applied research projects, preferably in a multi-country/comparative context
- Strong editorial and writing skills and ability to communicate research findings effectively to a non-expert audience
- Demonstrated organisational and project management skills
- Proven commitment to social justice issues
- Fluent in English, additional languages (in particular Spanish and/or French) an advantage
Qualified candidates should submit, preferably via email, a cover letter (mentioning the source of the application) and CV in English (in one pdf-file) to:
Deadline for applications is 6 October 2019.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
To learn more about Transparency International, visit our website at www.transparency.org
Gesines Jobtipps are handpicked and free of charge for job seekers and employers. And I make a living off them – via voluntary payments.
Please support me with an amount of your choice (in German). Thanks!