Welthungerhilfe (www.welthungerhilfe.de) is one of the large and respected private organisations in the field of development cooperation and humanitarian aid in Germany. It carries out projects in 39 countries and campaigns for fairer cooperation with developing countries. If you are prepared to dedicate yourself to carrying out projects under sometimes difficult conditions and you match the requirements set out below, we look forward to receiving your application for the position of
Consultant for the position of Gender Expert (m/f)
15 months, preferably starting in September 2019. Time wise on an average there is the expectation of approximately 20 working hours per week or two and a half honorarium days per week. Stationed at Germany, might have to travel within Europe.
Objectives and responsibilities of the position
Welthungerhilfe is partner with an European Commission supported project on “Education the next generation of professionals in the agrifood system”, or in brief called “NEXTFOOD”. NEXTFOOD is a research programme to generate an innovative European Science and education road map for sustainable agriculture which will challenge the linear view of knowledge transfer as a top-down process from research to advice and practice, and support the transition to a more learner centric, participatory, action-based and action oriented education and learning in agrifood and forestry systems.
It is already understood that the “agriculture and food system” is not a gender-neutral sector, so the research on finding the efficacy of participatory, experiential and action-oriented learning in agrifood systems will also have to take into account “gender” as a significant variable. In order to take special care of this aspect an external “Gender Expert” for agrifood research and extension will be needed, who will monitor selected aspects of the programme, act like a sounding board and also will come forward and contribute as a whole, to increased understanding of gender equality in the research on farm and food system.
Tasks and Responsibilities of the Gender Expert Consultant:
- Gender-differentiated impact assessment and recommendations:
A. Developing a working paper and a framework in mainstreaming gender in agriculture education and extension which can be referred to by all the NEXTFOOD partners in the project. In this task the project will develop policy recommendations to promote gender equality in research and education, which ties into the implementation of the gender equality dimension in the Europe 2020 strategy.
B. A gender differentiated impact assessment to be carried out on all policy recommendations developed from the NEXTFOOD project to ensure that they benefit both men and women equally.
- Develop policy recommendations to promote gender equality in agriculture research and education, on the regional, national and EU-level that support education and training systems for agrifood professionals. The recommendations will be based on a targeted expert consultation and supported by evidence from the literature. The final policy recommendations, which will be delivered in the form of a short (10 pages) document, followed by the full assessment report as an annex.
- Support as and when required as a referral point to provide input in studies/questionnaire/working paper from the gender angle to the NEXTFOOD project.
- Facilitate adequate liaison and linkages with relevant networks, government departments and relevant agencies to support programme implementation and advocacy initiatives.
- Conduct stakeholder consultation through online survey on the existing relevant policies impacting agriculture education
- Work in close collaboration with the respective Project Coordinator in Welthungerhilfe, who is stationed in India, and if need will arise, exchange with the Sector- and or Policy Unit in Germany.
- Undertake any other related duties commensurate with the grade and as communicated by Welthungerhilfe.
Your qualifications will include:
- Degree in Education/Agriculture Extension/Policy /or allied disciplines.
- Well versed with universities or research stations and the Academe.
- At least 5 years of work experience in similar tasks with specific knowledge and expertise on gender and gender equality;
- Good analytical, writing and networking skills in English;
- Excellent computer skills in packages including Microsoft Office. Desk Top Publishing software will be an added advantage.
- Proactive, self-driven, while at the same time being a good team player, highly motivated, and willing to go the extra mile.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
Please send the following details, for the Consultant” by July 31, 2017 to:
- Financial offer, budget incl. fees/honorarium per working day
- CV and references
- Example of relevant works
Gesines Jobtipps are handpicked and free of charge for job seekers and employers. And I make a living off them – via voluntary payments.
Please support me with an amount of your choice (in German). Thanks!